Swiss Travel Questions…

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2012 at 13:09:18 #805603

My husband and I are traveling to the Berner Oberland from 27 Sept to 2 Oct. We are arriving by train from Nice on 27 Sept and departing from Zurich by plane on 2 Oct. We will be staying in Interlaken/Murren for this trip. We plan to take all of the trains/cable cars and fully explore the area up to Jungfraujoch. Question is what type of rail passes should we purchase for maximum value?

In addition, our son will be joining us on 28 Sept to 1 Oct. He will be flying R/T from Paris to Zurich to be with us. What kind of rail pass should he purchase.

Also, on his day of departure (1 Oct), our son has a 10:40 am flight out of Zurich. There is a 6:00 am train from Interlaken to Zurich that morning, but will he be able to travel from Murren to Interlaken earlier that morning to catch the 6 am train?

Thank you so much for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2012 at 23:54:24 #837121

My wife and I will be traveling to Geneva arriving on September 13 at 0745 from the US. We will be traveling using the 2 for 1 Swiss Pass. Can you provide information on how to get from the Airport to the boat dock on Lac Leman? We want to take the ferry from Geneva to Montreux then the train continuing on to Thun. At Thun we want to again travel by ferry across Lake Thunersee to Interlaken. From Interlaken continue by train to our final deistination of Murren. Any travel directions and advise would be very appreciated.
    Roy

Annika
    7121 posts
    7 September 2012 at 10:10:02 #837122

Hi Roy. Would you mind creating a new topic for your question, as it’s not related to the original question of this topic? This is also mentioned in our forum rules. Thank you :-)!

[quote]rspace said: My wife and I will be traveling to Geneva arriving on September 13 at 0745 from the US. We will be traveling using the 2 for 1 Swiss Pass. Can you provide information on how to get from the Airport to the boat dock on Lac Leman? We want to take the ferry from Geneva to Montreux then the train continuing on to Thun. At Thun we want to again travel by ferry across Lake Thunersee to Interlaken. From Interlaken continue by train to our final deistination of Murren. Any travel directions and advise would be very appreciated.
    Roy[/quote]

Annika
    7121 posts
    7 September 2012 at 10:29:22 #837123

Welcome to the forum Laurie! If you plan to focus on the Jungfrau region, the 2 for 1 deal on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would be a good option. Parts of your inbound trip by train and your trip to Zurich would also be covered. An alternative is the 2 for 1 deal on the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. It grants 4 days of free traveling, 2 of which can be used for your inbound trip and the journey to Zurich. The two remaining ones can be used for other longer trips, e.g. boat trips on the lakes or trips to other regions if weather around Mürren is bad.

As for your son: he can use the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland too (he’ll have to pay the regular fare). If he’s under 26, a 4 day Swiss Youth Pass would work too. It ultimately depends on your exact travel plans and calculations would be required to be sure which option is cheapest.

All connections can be found through the timetable. The earliest travel connection leaves at 06:06am from Mürren and will get him at Zurich Airport by 09:16. I guess this is too short in advance. A hotel near Zurich Airport may be better to spend the night before his departure.

[quote]laurie33 said: My husband and I are traveling to the Berner Oberland from 27 Sept to 2 Oct. We are arriving by train from Nice on 27 Sept and departing from Zurich by plane on 2 Oct. We will be staying in Interlaken/Murren for this trip. We plan to take all of the trains/cable cars and fully explore the area up to Jungfraujoch. Question is what type of rail passes should we purchase for maximum value?

In addition, our son will be joining us on 28 Sept to 1 Oct. He will be flying R/T from Paris to Zurich to be with us. What kind of rail pass should he purchase.

Also, on his day of departure (1 Oct), our son has a 10:40 am flight out of Zurich. There is a 6:00 am train from Interlaken to Zurich that morning, but will he be able to travel from Murren to Interlaken earlier that morning to catch the 6 am train?

Thank you so much for your help![/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2012 at 13:45:10 #837124

Sorry, it looked to me like my question was similar to the topic and questions asked by others. My question was a Swiss travel question. How do I open a new topic? Can not find the path to do so.

Annika
    7121 posts
    7 September 2012 at 14:13:47 #837125

Hi Roy,

You can click “Start new topic” on this overview page of the Swiss rail forum.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Questions…’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.