Train travel on non-panoramic trains with a pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 20:53:48 #808936

My husband and I have 8 day Swiss Travel Passes. Am I correct in that on the days we wish to travel from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen, and then from Lauterbrunnen to Lausanne we can just get on the train and go? Obviously I would need to confirm the itinerary and the route beforehand. But once I know which trains we want to catch, we can just get on right?

And other than the special seats in the front car of the Golden Pass trains, the same goes?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2016 at 6:11:39 #850876

>> My husband and I have 8 day Swiss Travel Passes. Am I correct in that on the days we wish to travel from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen, and then from Lauterbrunnen to Lausanne we can just get on the train and go? Obviously I would need to confirm the itinerary and the route beforehand. But once I know which trains we want to catch, we can just get on right?

And other than the special seats in the front car of the Golden Pass trains, the same goes?

Hi Canadarocks,

Yes, assuming your passes have already been validated if necessary (see below), and you avoid catching an official Glacier Express train from Zermatt. If you plan the trip Zermatt – Lauterbrunnen using the SBB timetable, it will steer you clear of using any of the official Glacier Express services.

Just for information, in August, those official Glacier Express services leave Zermatt at 7:52 am, 8:52 am and 9:52 am. So just avoid those – there are plenty of other services.

Are you planning to use the Golden Pass route for your trip between Interlaken and Montreux? If so, are you familiar with what you need to do to get the timetable to display the Golden Pass route instead of the fastest route between Lauterbrunnen and Lausanne?

As regards my comment above about validating your pass if necessary, this will tell you what you need to know about validating your Swiss Travel Pass:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2016 at 14:08:07 #850877

Thank you so much for your reply.

Are you planning to use the Golden Pass route for your trip between Interlaken and Montreux? If so, are you familiar with what you need to do to get the timetable to display the Golden Pass route instead of the fastest route between Lauterbrunnen and Lausanne?

I am not familiar with that. If you could give me that information, I would really appreciate it, thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 April 2016 at 16:45:07 #850878

Hi there,

It’s explained in the timetable section of myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/ gettingthere.

• The thread ‘Train travel on non-panoramic trains with a pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.