Travel by car in Grindelwald – First

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2018 at 20:54:53 #818137

We are renting a car for our stay in Grindelwald from 27th September to 2nd October. We are interested in visiting the First Cliff Walk and just was wandering if we can drive up there and park? Because everyone that i see are taking the bus or the gondola up there and we are just trying to save some money! Thanks in advance for answers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 August 2018 at 3:59:53 #895249

Welcome to MySwissAlps Aradvin!

Most of the area is car free, First included. Grindelwald itself can be reached by car, but for nearly all other places you can travel by train and cable cars only.

Is Grindelwald your only destination? If so, you can save money by not renting a car and consider a rail pass instead. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/travel.

Even without a rail pass you can save money with the free Visitors Card issued by hotels (e.g. free bus rides), but discounts with a rail pass will be better: http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald/hotels

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2018 at 15:10:19 #895250

My husband and I just came back from 5 days in Grindelwald – you’re going to love it!! I agree with Arno, a rail pass would be a much better choice than renting a car, especially if you’re staying in Grindelwald. The town is small and parking is limited. Most people travel by train or bus.

If you buy one of the Jungfrau Pass options (http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/) too, you’ll have unlimited travel on the trains, buses, and cable cars in the region. Some things were extra like the activities up in First and the ticket to Jungfraujoch, but it was a great decision on our part and allowed for stress-free traveling! We also bought a Half-Fare Swiss Rail Pass because we spent some time in Zurich as well. It’s a little confusing but with the half-fare pass you get a discount on the Jungfrau Pass and pay half-fare on local transportation (in our case, the trains, trams, buses in Zurich). We bought our Jungfrau Pass at the tourist office in Grindelwald – if you go, speak to Andrea she was so helpful in explaining the options and very knowledgeable of all the trails and activities!

• The thread ‘Travel by car in Grindelwald – First’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.