Car day trip from Lucerne: Aare-Giessbach-Brienz

• Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    26 February 2019 at 19:59:07 #820122

We would like to travel by car from Lucerne for a day. We would like to include seeing the Aare Gorge, Geissbach Falls, and Brienz, and also take the Brienz Rothorn Bahn train ride. Can that be done in one day or is it too many things to include? We would like to be back in Lucerne by 6:30 in the evening.

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Irene

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 February 2019 at 21:38:35 #905052

Hi Irene-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

It is helpful for us and the other forum members who may wish to comment, if you let us know when you are traveling. It is especially important if you include high mountains in your itinerary

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

The BR Bahn does not run every day of the year, also.

brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/timetable-prices/?lang=en

Your route should likely be Luzern, Aare Gorge, Giessbach, Brienz, BR Bahn to Brienzer Rothorn, back to Brienz, and return to Luzern.

If yuo rough that out on Google maps, you’ll see that the driving time will be about 2 1/4 hours total, assuming perfect conditions, and avoid the not infrequent weekend/holday traffic jams on the Brunig Pass road.

You must coordinate your schedule with the BRB trips.

The trip up takes an hour; down, 1 hour and 4 minutes.

A bit over 5 1/2 hours of transit time.

Parking near the station in Brienz is tight. They have a dedicated garage, but it fills quickly on beautiful clear days, especially during the tourist season.

So, you decide how many minutes you plan to spend at each location, allowing for fixed arrival and departure items up top, add it to 5 1/2 hours, and you’ve got your answer.

If you do the BRBahn first, you can decide to cut off the other items depending on how much time you ave left.

It’s nice up there on a clear day. See attached. One day in September, we started out at the bottom with warm sunny clear weather. When we got to the top, it was cloudy, cold, and light snow was falling.

That is not unusual.

<<“Nowhere the weather is more changeable than in the mountains.”>>

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Slowpoke.

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    26 February 2019 at 23:21:44 #905053

Thank you so much for your response, Slowpoke! I realized I hadn’t put the dates in AFTER I posted! We will be there in June, and would like to do that part of our traveling on Wednesday, June 5th specifically. I initially figured out the time frame as well but wanted more “expert” advice so I decided to post.

I am slowly creating a plan for our time in Lake Lucerne. We have been there before but our friends traveling with us have not. We arrive on June 3rd – driving from Lake Como; that in itself will take almost 3 hours. After checking into our hotel (Rebstok) we would just stay close in the Old Town (Lion monument, Church, etc.) The following day (June 4) we are scheduled for a Mt. Rigi excursion in the afternoon and the Night Watchman walk at night, but nothing in the morning. On June 5 we have the day free for now, but we have a 7 PM Stadtkeller dinner show in Lucerne, so we would have to be back before then (I wasn’t sure if they would be playing the alphorns near the station when we left for Rigi like they were the last time we were there and I want my friends to enjoy hearing them!) On June 6 we leave for Bern for one night before finishing our vacation in Courmayeur Italy. I was hoping to drive to Bern using another route so we could see the area near Interlaken one day, and then go to Bern using a more northern route. I also have to consider that on the way to Bern we will have our luggage along, too!

Your information will certainly be helpful and any additional information you would like to share would be welcome. We have never been to Bern!

Thanks, Irene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 7:13:43 #905054

Hi Irene

In addition to Slowpoke’s comments, you may want to check these links:

Have a great time in Switzerland!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 February 2019 at 8:09:18 #905055

Hi Irene-

<<“and would like to do that part of our traveling on Wednesday, June 5th specifically. “>>

Good timing. From the link I provided, I can see that the BR Bahn resumes regular service on June 1, 2019.

<<“Your information will certainly be helpful and any additional information you would like to share would be welcome. We have never been to Bern!”>>

You seem to know your way around the area of Lake Lucerne, and I have no particular comments.

Oh yes, I changed my mind. I’d suggest a look at the Bourbaki PanoramaI near the Lion Monument.

Maria gave the link for the Rigi.

I don’t know about the Alphoms on the way to the Rigi. If I have a car when I am going up to the Rigi, I park at the valley station of the Luftseilbahn at Weggis and go up that way. There is some parking by the staion in Vitznau, but, I’d take the boat to Vitznau. Maria gave the link for the Rigi. In the past, that has been because I always stayed at the Hotel Bergsonne in Rigi Kaltbad. Now that they have new owners, I’ll probably wait a while before I try them out. The train up from Vitznau has nice views.

If you are lucky, and get or choose one of the steam-powered sudewheelers for your boat, you’ll havea nice view old-style Swiss engineering. Two pictures attached.

I last stayed at the Hotel zum Rebstock many, many years ago, right after they gutted the hotel and rebuilt with reasonable sized rooms. 20+years ago. I enjoyed the stay, and the nicely decorated rooms, but now like to stay along the river, at the des Alpes. No parking nearby. My favorite view (attached) is from what used to be the Hotel Schiff, which is now apartments. Have not been there. The Wiesner-Jolies, who used to run the Schiff, have reopened their restaurant under the arches by the quai, and I have enjoyed it in th epast couiple of years. My first choice is usually the Rathausbraurei, for variety of items at a wide price range and good quality:

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /en/

In case you don’t know German, das Rathaus is literally Council House, or, actually, Town Hall. The building is the old town hall.

I don’t know where I’d park for the zum Rebstock. There is no parking nearby. So , I looked at their website. They offer valet parking for 25 CHF per day.

That is a bargain, compared to the main parking garages, that can run up to 50 or 60 CHF for an overnight park. And, the Rebstock is pretty easy to drive to.

As for Bern, I have never dared to drive into the city of Bern. Typically, I stay within easy train ride distance, so I arrive at the main station. I really enjoy the walk down to the Nydeggbrücke through the old town and up to the Rose Garden. I like to eat at the Brasserie Bärengraben:

brasseriebaerengraben. ch/

but the Old Tram Station restaurant across the street at that end of the bridge is good, and I use it when the very very good (and very small) Brasserie is full.

It is also nice to have a coffee or beer at the cafe at the Rose Garden.

I often end up taking the #12 tram from the bridge back to the Hauptbahnhof.

Maria has provided some useful links.

I’ll add a few pictures, including a couple from Christmas time, when they run one of the old coal-fired trams. Of course, at Christmas time, the Rose Garden is kind of desolate. Nice views,though.

The Rosegarden will be nice in June.

Slowpoke

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 March 2019 at 4:17:20 #905056

You have been SO HELPFUL!!!

We were in Lake Luzurn back in 1996, but I remember it so well because we loved it. We already arranged a trip to Mt. Rigi (I still have my cowbell that I bought on the trip!) I will be referring to your response often as I plan. Thanks, too, for the tips on Bern; our hotel there has reserved parking for us and the Rebstok is aware of our parking needs so we have already advised that we will be using the valet parking! Hopefully, this time it won’t be so cloudy on Rigi!

I am rethinking the train ride in Brienz since we will be doing the train up to Rigi. I’m thinking of going to the Hergiswil Glassworks, then Giswil, and then maybe the Aare Gorge instead of Brienz, but the woodworking in Brienz really looks so interesting! Again, I have to figure extra time for driving and visiting, but you’ve made that easier for me!

Thanks, again!

Irene

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 March 2019 at 4:18:27 #905057

Thanks so much, Maria! You and ‘Slowpoke’ are being so helpful!

irene

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 March 2019 at 10:27:35 #905058

<<“I am rethinking the train ride in Brienz since we will be doing the train up to Rigi.”>>

Totally different. The Rigi is tame and the train from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm has nice scenery. Good views, of course.

The ride up to the Brienzer Rothorn is much more “mountainous” and a real event. Up top, in my opinion, has more striking views. Much higher altitude, well above the tree line. On the Rigi, you are barely above the tree line. However, it is always hard to compare different mountains, and which is “better” is certainly impossible to say because it depends so much on personal opinion. And, good memories.

Off hand, I’d skip the Giessbach. Oce again, personal preferences. By the way , one of the highlights for me at the Giessbach is the private funicular down to the ship landing. You don’t experience that unless you ride down and then up, when you have a car.

Slowpoke

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 March 2019 at 14:12:03 #905059

So much information! You are indeed such a great help. I will let you know what we decide in the end, but I’m sure it will all be fantastic!

Thanks, again!

Irene

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 March 2019 at 14:15:59 #905060

Hi Irene-

<<“but I’m sure it will all be fantastic!”>>

Hard to miss in Switzerland.

I hope you’re planning some use of the train system? Apart from mountain railways, that is?

Slowpoke

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    2 March 2019 at 6:48:01 #905061

We haven’t really planned to travel by train because we are renting a car. However, we will be taking the Bernina Express when we are in Lake Como, and we plan to travel on the cogwheel to Rigi and maybe the steam engine in Brienz. I am organizing day trips with different tour companies to cut down on our driving when I can.

Slowpoke, what do you suggest as far as any passes we may need? Since we are taking a tour of Rigi, all transportation needs are taken care of, but I think we need to purchase Bernina tickets (on the Italian side?) I also know we must get a vignette for the car because we are renting it and returning it to Malpensa airport. I have been on the half-fare and swiss pass sites but I find them totally confusing!

Thank you!

irene

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2019 at 10:08:53 #905062

Hi Irene-

<<“However, we will be taking the Bernina Express when we are in Lake Como, and we plan to travel on the cogwheel to Rigi and maybe the steam engine in Brienz.”>>

You will like those rides. The panoramic cars can get a bit warm from the sun in the summer in spite of air conditioning, so suspect June will be a good time for the Bernina Express. I don’t understand your routing. Will that be a day trip from Como?

I was thinking of some of the main line Swiss intercity trains in addition to the excursion trains. They are a special part of the Swiss travel experience, deposit you in city centers, and allow all members of the party to watch the scenery. Roomier than a car, too.

I can understand the need for a car from Malpensa. I think they may have improved the connections to the rail network from Malpensa since I used to fly in and out from there, but they were focused more on getting to Milano North…not even Centrale, in those days.

However, a visit to Switzerland with day trips can lend itself to the use of the Swiss train network.

<<“I am organizing day trips with different tour companies to cut down on our driving when I can.”>>

We have different ideas about how to make day trips. Tour groups are efficient. But, I like to choose my own timing because i do a lot of photography. and don’t feel the need to see as many sights in one day as you plan for the day we have discussed.

It would be slower, but, if I were doing it, I’d take the train from Luzern to Brienz, walk around Brienz, go up and down the Brienzer Rothorn, and return by train. Maybe spend a bit of time in Meiringen. Of course, I’d miss those other places, but, I’d set my own pace. I might wallk t or from the Giessbach – time consuming- or see how the boat schedule worked to get over there. Probably would not work, but I’d look into it.

I have been on the Rigi many times more than on the Brienzer Rothorn. Even with my fond memories of the Rigi, if i were forced to choose, I’d go up to the Rothorn. Assuming clear weather. However, your own experice with the Rigi is a compelling reason to go back.

I don’t know your plans in detail, so this suggestion probably won’t match your needs,but, I’ll mention it anyway.

Have you considered taking a train from Como to Luzern, staying in or near Luzern, and using Luzern as a base for train rides? That can be a very nice rail trip if you use the Gotthard Panoramic Express ( or the same route over the Alps on regular trains). Or, it can be faster by using the new tunnel under the Alps. It is nuisance to pick up an Avis ( which I happen to always use out of habit and because of preferred status) in Luzern if you have to go out to Kriens, but it is likely that there might be an easier way to get some kind of rental car one if you needed one in Switzerland. Just an ill-formed thought. And, since you have parking at the Rebstock for less than half the going rate, that is a good way to do it.

It was brought on by thinking about your question about rail passes.

<<“Slowpoke, what

do you suggest as far as any passes we may need?”>

I rely on the moderators to advise on rail passes. I carry a half fare card, so that whenever i visit Switzerland I combine some rental car travl with rail travel. I never – well, hardly ever 😉 – take a car into the cities.

But, I don’t know the details of passes the way that the moderators do. Arno in particular keeps up with the details. With an international travel pattern and a rental car, it gets more complex.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 10:44:22 #905063

Hi Irene,

To know which Swiss rail pass (if any) will save you the most money on your trip, you’ll have to first decide on your day to day itinerary (minus days where you have a tour etc).

Once you’ve got a rough itinerary set you’ll need to find regular ticket prices for your trips, and then compare those prices to a rail pass’s offered discounts (and its own purchase price). Rail passes can cover between 25% and 100% of a ticket’s cost for a particular route.

The following link gives you instructions on how to find prices and compare various rail passes http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass (we even have a spreadsheet there to help with the math).

Those traveling partially by rental car often go with the Swiss Half Fare Card (valid for 30 days) and that gets them 50% off all trips they decide to make by train, cable car, boat etc. Simplest option usually. http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    3 March 2019 at 17:47:12 #905064

So far, this is our itinerary:

We arrive in Lake Como on May 31. We have booked a private tour that will take us to St. Moritz via the Bernina Express for June 1. I don’t have a regimented plan for Como since the ferry stops near our hotel and we have a lot of options in the towns around the lake.

We will arrive in Lucerne probably around mid-day on June 3rd. I can request and early check-in from the hotel, or we could probably leave our luggage there if we plan an afternoon excursion on the 3rd, but I don’t have any excursions planned for that afternoon/evening.

June 4 we have an afternoon Mt. Rigi trip with Viator that starts at approx. 1PM. That evening we have booked the Night Watchman tour of Lucerne (not available on June 3), which sound interesting and will cover Chapel Bridge, etc., but not the Lion Monument or the panorama.

On June 5 we have nothing planned as yet, but we are booked at the Stadtkeller for 7 pm (not available on June 3 or 4).

On June 6 we leave for Bern and we don’t have anything planned as yet for there, either. We cut our stay in Lucerne a day short and decided to stay in Bern for the evening because our final destination is Courmayeur and I thought it would be nicer to stop in-between Lucerne and Courmayeur rather than just spending a lot of time driving through, and Bern looks like an interesting and beautiful place.

I am trying not to use our car if we don’t have to, but I do like the idea of driving to Glasi Hergiswill, Giswil, and then down to Brienz on June 5. My problem is that Slowpoke said the Brienz Rothbahn is an exceptional trip but it is time-consuming. Considering that we have to be back for 7 pm I think our options are limited.

My confusion also stems from the multitude of choice for Swiss passes and whether we need to pay the additional expense or just try to book day tours that will cover the expenses. Slowpoke also suggested using the Swiss transit system rather than renting a car, but traveling by train/bus for the total itinerary we planned isn’t feasible .

I am so grateful that I found this site because all of you are being so immensely helpful to me!

Thank you,

Irene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2019 at 11:08:59 #905065

Hello Irene,

I see you’re carefully planning your stay here in Switzerland, which is half the stay, as it allows you to simply enjoy once you’re in the country.

One or the other little input from me:
    As you seem to really want to cover the Brienzer Rothorn, which is understandable, but are a little short on time on June the 5th, you can consider visiting the Glasi Hergiswil upon arrival in Lucerne on the 3 rd and like this only do Giswil, Brienz, Brienzer Rothorn on the 5th. Just an idea to consider.

Have a look at the options you have regarding train journeys using this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

And for a general overview of pro and contra arguments of car and train, go here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

Happy travelling.

Best,
    Steph

Eye707
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 March 2019 at 19:34:25 #905066

Thank you, Steph. I think we might be able to do Hergiswil and Giswil on June 3, and then do the Brienzer Rothorn on June 5th. It should give us enough time on that day to get back in time for the show at the Stadtkeller that evening. I am also looking at the Swiss passes to see which ones might be best for us. It looks like the Swiss Half Fare pass would be best, as our Rigi tickets are included in our tour with Viator, however, we have to purchase our own tickets for our tour that includes the Bernina Express. The tickets would be purchased in Tirano, Italy. Do you know if we can use the half-fare pass even though we are buying the tickets in Tirano?

Since we are renting and returning our car in Malpensa, we won’t incur additional expense returning the car, but I will need to buy a vignette for it. Can that be done online?

Again, as I keep saying, I am so glad I found this site because it’s so helpful. Thank you!!

Irene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2019 at 9:22:11 #905067

Hello Irene,

Yes I think that plan for the 3rd and 5th will work out fine.

Regarding the rail passes, Lucas posted a very helpful link earlier on providing you with 5 steps on how to choose the best rail pass for you.

Should you go for the Swiss Half Fare Card, which I believe makes sense, you will be able to buy the 50% fare tickets also in Tirano. No problem. Check out this link for the validity of the Swiss Half Fare Card (incl. map):
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Don’t forget the seat reservation for the Bernina Express:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/tickets

Regarding the motorway vignette for the car that you mention earlier on in the thread use this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/mo torwayvignette

You can either buy the vignette online in advance or simply when crossing the border into Switzerland.

We’re glad to be able to support you in setting up your itinerary.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Car day trip from Lucerne: Aare-Giessbach-Brienz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11200 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.