Trip Advice to go to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2015 at 3:38:26 #807006

As we visit Geneva, my husband will be working and I plan to visit someplaces around with my daughter who is 6 years old. I was hoping to take a two day trip to interlaken and Mt.Titlis from Geneva. So basically I have two days at my disposal ( 14th and 15th of April) and would like to plan to visit Interlaken and Mt.Titlis. How should I plan ?

Any advice on what kind of train pass I should get or where should I stay ( Interlaken or any where) and what should I see in those two days will be really helpful. Also since its a new country and I will be managing my 6 year old alone there – any advice on how to manage vegetarian food, should I carry stuff or the kind of clothes to carry will also be useful.

Please advice on things that mifght be interesting for my daughter.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7094 posts
    24 March 2015 at 7:15:58 #842104

Hi sharini,

The day trip you have in mind take a very long time of traveling. I’m not sure if that’s the best choice with a 6 year old. It takes 9 hours to travel from Geneva to Mount Titlis and back, without any actual sightseeing time. The trip to Interlaken and back takes 5.5 hours. Interlaken is not a destination in itself. It’s a central town in the Jungfrau region from where you travel to other places. The links provide additional information. The timetable can be used to find traveling times. If you plan long trips like these, a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass makes sense. You child will travel for free.

You can also consider regional excursions like a boat trip on Lake Geneva, the cogwheel train to Rochers-de-Naye, or the Chocolate Train.

Please see here for information about food and here for information about the weather/clothing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2015 at 3:45:30 #842105

Thanks Annika.

Can you please let me know if the following plan is doable.

Friday evening (17th April eveing) take a train from Geneva to interlaken. On Saturday Morning catch a 7:05 am train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch and reach by 9:30 am. Spend time in Jungfraujoch till 1:00 or 2:00 pm and get back to Interlaken by 4:00 pm and take the train back to Paris from Interlaken through Basel.

Also is it possible to do a day trip from Ganeva to Chamonix ?

Thanks again for your help.

Harini

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 March 2015 at 9:52:28 #842106

Hi Harini,

Staying the night in Interlaken is a good idea. Please see the Interlaken page for hotels near the rail station. I recommend to travel to Paris earlier though. The last train departs 4:30 PM, but because of construction works around Bern you may miss the connection in Basel. I would take the first train up to Jungfraujoch in order to be able to depart for Paris earlier.

You can visit Chamonix from Geneva. A bus trip like this one may be the quickest way to do so.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2015 at 10:32:33 #842107

Thanks for your help.

Is there a chocolate/cheese factory near Geneva that I can visit at a nominal cost ?

Also, I there a safe spot in/near Geneva where we can go for a small picnic ?

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 March 2015 at 11:24:42 #842108

Hi sharini,

Regarding the factories: please click the Chocolate Train link I gave you. You can either book that tour or visit those factories on your own.

There are several parks along the lake in Geneva (see the map on the Geneva page). Geneva is safe, but you should always be aware of pickpockets like in many other places around the world.

• The thread ‘Trip Advice to go to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.