Using Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2016 at 4:11:28 #810329

Hi,

I have just obtained my Half Fare Card from Rail Europe and am travelling to Switzerland in December 2016. May I ask how I can use this card to buy tickets at half fare in advance online on the SBB website? Or can I use this Half Fare Card only when in Switzerland? Also, would I be able to take advantage of the Super Saver Fares with the Half Fare Card?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 November 2016 at 8:11:02 #856985

Hi Kyuhyun,

You can get tickets through the manned desks at the station, ticketing machines (often the simplest quickest option) or online. Please see myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/howtouse. The discounted tickets you need are marked “1/2” (half price) on the ticketing machines. You can indeed also buy Super Saver Tickets.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2016 at 8:21:13 #856986

Thanks for your prompt reply. So I should be able to buy and print out the train tickets online from the SBB website without any problems, correct? If I were to do so, would I need to also ‘buy’ tickets for my two younger children who will be travelling for free on the Family card or do they simply get on the train with the rest of the party? What about for the Golden Pass Panoramic train or the Jungfraujoch rail?

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 November 2016 at 10:41:41 #856987

Hi Kyuhyun,

Yes, sure you can do so (if you have a printer at hand), or you can use their app (you need to create an account and enter credit card details). I wouldn’t recommend to buy way in advance though. Plans can change due to the weather for example, so you’ll be most flexible if you buy last minute. Hence the machines.

Your children don’t need tickets anywhere, because you have the Swiss Family Card for them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2016 at 1:54:23 #856988

Hi Arno,

Thanks for all your excellent advice. I’ll do as you’ve suggested. One last question, are there any boat cruises available out of Montreux in December and how do I go about making reservations (if necessary) and which are the most interesting ones to go on?

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 November 2016 at 8:10:38 #856989

You’re welcome Kyuhyun!

You’ll find lots of details and links (to the timetables too) on the Lake Geneva boat page. Off the top of my head the timetable is very limited in winter. Reservations are not required.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2016 at 9:06:23 #856990

Thanks again Arno. Just a quick follow up question. Aside from Lake Geneva, which other lakes do you think would offer worthwhile cruises to take that run throughout December?

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 November 2016 at 10:06:10 #856991

You can take a look at Lake Thun and Lake Lucerne. In all cases schedules will be limited in winter, so be sure to plan carefully.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2016 at 0:59:29 #856992

Hi again,

My trip is in 3 weeks’ time – arriving in Zurich and then going to Montreux after 3 days followed by Interlaken 2 days later and finally to Luzern before heading back to Zurich to catch a flight back home. Is there any advantage getting the train tickets to Montreux/Interlaken/Luzern before hand or should I simply get them at the station on the day of travel (I will be taking the train to each of those locations in the late morning). And if I were to get them at the station on the day of travel, can I still avail myself of the supersaver tickets or do these have to be purchased in advance? Thanks for your kind input.

Kyuhyun

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 November 2016 at 6:57:00 #856993

Hi Kyuhyun,

The advantage of buying such tickets in advance is that you will save a bit of time, although getting them from the machines is a quick process. You don’t need to visit a staffed ticket desk (which tends to take a bit longer) if you print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home (see here).

The price of tickets is the same whenever you buy, although sometimes websites can sell them slightly cheaper due to fluctuating exchange rates. You could take a look at http://www.happyrail.com/en/s witzerland-by-train (the Swiss Half Fare Card is called “Halbtax 50% ” there).

Supersaver tickets need to be purchased in advance: at least a few hours before departure. And they’re only valid for one specific train with no option to get off the train along the way. I don’t use them a lot, but last them I tried I missed out on it an hour before departure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2016 at 8:42:51 #856994

Thanks again for your very detailed reply. Can I ask if the trains to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Ost run on 24/12 (Christmas Eve) and on 25/12 (Christmas Day)?

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 November 2016 at 13:02:44 #856995

Sure, these trains operate all year round, except when there’s severe weather. You’ll find schedules in the timetable.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 November 2016 at 1:38:29 #856996

Hi Kyihyun –

I think it might not have been stated explicitly, but to be clear, except for few special named routes ( e.g., Glacier Express) reservations are not needed on Swiss trains within Switzerland. If you choose to do a special scenic train, a reservation may be needed, but regular trains also run along the same routes…maybe no panoramic windows…and do not require reservations.

When I travel in Switzerland…usually several times a year…I use a half fare card and buy tickets for the entire journey from the machines, just before I board the first train.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Using Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.