Which rail pass for 6 days trip to Zurich?

Which rail pass for 6 days trip to Zurich?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
clee07
clee07
6 posts
Jan 25, 2017 - 5:31 AM

Hi,

I will be traveling to Zurich for 6 days in mid-March. I would like to ask if the Swiss Rail Pass would be most ideal for the following tentative itinerary. Any suggestions/feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

Day 1: arrive in Zurich in the afternoon (would there be any nightlife festivities during the weekday)

Day 2: Rhine Falls (would this be a good time to go sinceboat services will not be available during winter), then head to Lake Zurich, Old town

Day 3: Luzern, Mt Pilatus (Is it worthwhile to visit Mt. Titlas as well)

Day 4: day trip to Milan (which city should we purchase a round trip ticket to Milan & can we get a discount if we hold the Swiss Rail Pass)

Day 5: Matterhorn

Day 6: depart from Zurich

I would like to include St. Mortiz & Interlaken. Is it doable on either day 2 or 5?

Thank you,

Chee

Arno
Arno
9571 posts
expert &
Jan 25, 2017 - 11:37 AM

Welcome to MySwissAlps Chee!

So you will be doing all of this as day trips from Zurich? In that case you need the Swiss Travel Pass as you will be traveling a lot. You'll find all details here.

I don't see a way to include St. Moritz. There is not much to see in Interlaken so you can skip that (unless you have a particular goal there?), but the train ride from Lucerne to Interlaken is very nice. You can include that in day 5 (will be a long day!).

clee07
clee07
6 posts
Jan 27, 2017 - 12:54 AM in reply to Arno

Hello Arno,

Thanks for the prompt response! We are staying in Adliswil, but looks like the Swiss Travel Pass would be most ideal. What else would you recommend to do for Day 5 on our way to Matterhorn?

Also which station should I be buying my ticket from to Milan?

Thank you,

Chee

Arno
Arno
9571 posts
expert &
Jan 27, 2017 - 9:17 AM in reply to clee07

Hi Chee,

Activities around Zermatt can be found on our Zermatt page. A train ride up to the Gornergrat is very nice.

Everything covered in the Swiss Travel Pass can be found here. You can travel for free until Chiasso, so you need a return ticket Chiasso - Milan. Don't get off the train in Chiasso. Rather buy that ticket in advance through one of the websites listed here, so you can stay seated.

The Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home through www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick "Online Ticket" from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1 to 3 business days.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3625 posts
expert
Jan 27, 2017 - 11:21 PM in reply to clee07

Hi Chee-

Fastest trip from ZüriHB to Milano Centrale is 3 hrs 26 minutes at with no change of train at 0609, 0709, 0909, 1109....

For a day trip, you will spend 7 hours on the train. And, to get there that fast, you will use the new "basis tunnel" and not see the Gotthard pass scenic route.

Is it worth it for you?

If you go the scenic route via Göschenen, count on 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours, one way.

Slowpoke

clee07
clee07
6 posts
Jan 30, 2017 - 1:26 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

I plan to take the train from Zurich HB to Milan but only buy the ticket (Chiasso - Milan, Milan -Chiasso). I will still be covered with the Swiss travel pass from Zurich HB to Chiasso?

I know traveling from Zurich to Zermatt will be a long day for us especially with the train ride. I'd like to see the Matterhorn if weather permits. How should I plan out this day?

Thank you,

Chee

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3625 posts
expert
Jan 30, 2017 - 1:39 AM in reply to clee07

<<"Day 4: day trip to Milan (which city should we purchase a round trip

ticket to Milan & can we get a discount if we hold the Swiss Rail

Pass)">>

<<"I plan to take the train from Zurich HB to Milan but only buy the ticket

(Chiasso - Milan, Milan -Chiasso). I will still be covered with the

Swiss travel pass from Zurich HB to Chiasso?">>

That make sense.

However, Swiss Rail passes are good as far as the border, so you have the right approach.

It is still a very long day trip.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jan 30, 2017 - 1:45 AM by Slowpoke
Annika
Annika
4880 posts
expert &
Jan 30, 2017 - 9:15 AM in reply to clee07

Hi Chee!

Yes, as Arno explained the legs Zurich-Chiasso and Chiasso-Zurich will be covered by your Swiss Travel Pass.

clee07
clee07
6 posts
Feb 7, 2017 - 10:11 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for the confirmation. Because it is still winter when I travel next month, is it true that cogwheel are not available? Also are there any alternate route by boat to Mt. Pilatus because the schedule that is currently posted has not availability in March.

Thank you,

Chee

Lucas
Lucas
3096 posts
expert &
Feb 8, 2017 - 10:00 AM in reply to clee07

Hi Chee,

The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad does not operate in Winter, from about mid November to mid May (depending on the weather).

I don't believe there is an alternate route by boat.

See our page about Pilatus for alternate routes: such as the Gondola from Kriens.

Lucas

Last modified on Feb 8, 2017 - 10:00 AM by Lucas
clee07
clee07
6 posts
Feb 12, 2017 - 8:16 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the response.

I am leading towards on purchasing the 4 consecutive days Swiss Rail Pass for my trip. What are the main differences with the companies such as SBB, HappyRail, or EuroRail? They seem to offer the same type of tickets with slightly different prices.

Also, do you think its worthwhile to visit Rigi as well with my day trip to Pilatus?

Thank you,

Chee

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3625 posts
expert
Feb 12, 2017 - 10:54 PM in reply to clee07

<<"Also, do you think its worthwhile to visit Rigi as well with my day trip to Pilatus?">>

www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

That may help you to decide.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Feb 12, 2017 - 10:55 PM by Slowpoke
Lucas
Lucas
3096 posts
expert &
Feb 13, 2017 - 7:24 AM in reply to clee07

Hi Chee,

You are buying the same pass, those are just difference companies you can buy it from. Prices can vary slightly, often due to exchange rates or the odd promotion. The product would be the same.

Here is a link to those resellers for you to check their prices and buy the ticket.

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017