Itinerary for Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 9:46:19 #815824

Hello All – We are 4 adults planning to visit Switzerland from 8th June to 11th June. Our flight lands in Zurich on the 8th and we depart Zurich on the 11th. We wanted to visit Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Zurich. Can anyone please suggest an itinerary and approximate cost for the same. We would prefer travelling by train, but if need be can hire a car. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 16:45:29 #884585

Hi cyamini, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

We don’t create itineraries here but we can help you get started.

Have a look at the following pages on our website:

I hope this helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 8:37:23 #884586

Thanks for the information. We plan to do the following

Arrive Zurich 12.00 noon on 8th. Check into a hotel near airport. Then take train to Lucerne. Spend that day in Lucerne and return back at night to the airport hotel in Zurich

On 9th morning take train from Zurich and go to Interlaken. Spend that whole day in Interlaken and return back at night to the airport hotel in Zurich. On 10th early morning take train to Zermatt. Spend that whole day in Zermatt and return back at night to the airport hotel in Zurich. On 11th early morning do a day tour of Zurich and reach airport by 4.00 p.m. for our return flight.

Is the above itinerary possible or we should stay 1st night in Lucerne, 2nd in Interlaken and 3rd in Zermatt ? Is train the best option for this travel (so that we can buy the 3 day swiss pass) or we should hire a car? Or is there any other mode of transport we can take (like bus etc). Please let us know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 14:39:56 #884587

Hi Cyamini,

I would not try to do day trips from a Zurich airport hotel – a lot of time just sitting on a train everyday.

It is nice to not move hotels every night of course but you should stay at a more central location like Lucerne or Interlaken. You may want stay the last night in Zermatt to make that day a little easier.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips and see travel times between towns.

Using the train and buying the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass makes the most sense.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 13:53:35 #884588

Hello Lucas, Hello Chantal,

We have found apartment near Interlaken West Train Station for our stay in Switzerland. Now we plan to do the below :

Day 1. Arrive Zurich Airport 12 noon. Airport to Apartment (Interlaken West Train Station). Arrive at APT at 2.30 p.m. approx. Spend that afternoon and evening in Interlaken. Day 2)Take morning train from Interlaken to Lucerne. Spend the whole day in Lucerne and back to APT in the evening . Day 3) Take morning train from Interlaken to Zermatt. Spend the whole day in Zermatt and return back to the APT in evening. Day 4) Take morning train to Zurich to reach by 10.00 a.m. Go around Zurich City until 3.30 p.m. 5) Take the train from Zurich city to Zurich Airport to reach airport by 4.15 p.m for the flight at 6.00 p.m.

Does the above sound good or we need to change somethings. Also for the above will 4 days Swiss pass be the cheapest and best way to travel? Or we should hire a car? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 14:07:44 #884589

This is all doable. You are familiar with the Swiss railways timetable? Lucas has given you the link.

I wouldn’t hire a car. I would go for the Swiss Travel Pass as Lucas suggested. You might want to purchase a point-to-point ticket on your first day. Depends on what your plans are. If you decide to buy the 4 day pass you might want to do a boat trip on day 1 so you’re getting the best out of it.

If you want to go for the cheapest option you will have to do the math and compare the rent of a car with the different rail passes. More information on how to select the best rail pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 15:18:38 #884590

Hello Chantal,

Thanks for quick reply.

We are 4 adults. So I think 3 day car hire should not cost us more than CHF 500 including fuel. I am not sure if we have to pay anything more for car apart from Rental charges and insurance. If there is anything else we need to pay in Switzerland. please let us know. 4 x 3 day Swiss Train passes will cost us CHF 900 plus we have to buy 1 day ticket for point to point as suggested by you. Is Zermatt accessible by car? I read somewhere that it can be reached only by train. Please let us know your suggestions, so that we can then plan accordingly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 15:48:32 #884591

Hi cyamini,

You need to pay for sure an insurance. Parking can be quite expensive in Switzerland. Zermatt is indeed car-free.

I don’t know if you’re planning to visit any mountain tops? Like Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus? Or maybe the Jungfraujoch? These highlights are discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass. Read more about that here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

You also might want to read our page on car versus train: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 9:28:44 #884592

Hello,

Is there any place at Zurich train station where we can keep our luggage for few hours while we go around the city and pick up the same when we are leaving from Zurich train station to Zurich Airport?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 9:54:20 #884593

>> Is there any place at Zurich train station where we can keep our luggage for few hours

Yes, there are luggage lockers on the level between the main concourse and the underground shopping centre – go down the escalator from the main concourse. You will need some coins (e.g. CHF 5, CHF 2, CHF 1).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 0:30:24 #884594

The cost of hiring a car may be cheaper than the train passes but there is:

extra hassle finding parking

extra hassle driving in unfamiliar surroundings

extra extra hassle for Zermatt as you can’t use the car to get to Zermatt anyway (there is a fee for parking lower down the valley plus a train fare – whereas the train to Zermatt is included in Swiss rail passes

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    18 May 2018 at 18:41:11 #884595

Hi cyamini,

On your last day why not stay on the train at Zurich HB and go first to the airport and check in your luggage? It costs nothing, you’re free of your luggage for the day and you get the time back when you don’t have to retrieve your luggage or check it in on the way to your flight.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:13:16 #884596

Most airlines won’t check luggage more than 2 -3 hours before departure. But perhaps they will?! 🙂

I was able to check my luggage in Tokyo 12 hours ahead of time (connecting there with 12 hour layover) but on other flights they’ve refused to take my luggage more than 2+ hours before departure.

You could at least store your luggage at the left luggage office at Zurich airport though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 4:25:30 #884597

>> Most airlines won’t check luggage more than 2 -3 hours before departure

Yes, that’s been my experience too – about 3 hours max before departure, when the check-in first opens for your particular flight.

Here are details of left luggage options at Zürich Airport.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/airport-services-en/baggage-service

Alpenrose

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    19 May 2018 at 6:49:37 #884598

Swiss certainly allow early baggage drop/check in at Zurich Airport – we’ve done it more than once – so I suggest it’s well worth checking it out with your airline.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 14:56:13 #884599

Yes, Swiss Airline does offer earlier check-in here (you can check your bags for your flight at many train stations even) but it is sort of their airport. 🙂

Can’t hurt to ask! The left luggage office is a good backup.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.