12 days across Switzerland (November 2022) + tips

• Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    27 November 2022 at 12:04:25 #828677

Hi all,

I have just returned from the most amazing vacation I’ve ever had. Switzerland has been one of my dream countries that I want to visit (apart from Iceland and Norway) due to its amazing nature. Needless to say, I am very happy that I stumbled upon this forum that helped me when I needed answers for a few questions when I planned my itinerary. For tips, scroll down below for the summary.

My trip was on 12-26 Nov (minus 2 days for plane travel), and I travelled all around Switzerland. I would say I have hit all the important spots during this trip. For this trip we all bought 15-day Swiss Travel Pass (2nd class) that costs 429 CHF.

• 12 Nov = Flight from Jakarta to Singapore to Zurich
    • 13 Nov = Zurich – Luzern

We reached Zurich early in the morning (8 AM), and we directly took the train to Luzern arriving at around 11 AM (incl. quick lunch, drop off luggage at hotel). After lunch, we went to Meggenhorn Castle. It was very calming and the scenery was quite breathtaking. The castle was aesthetic, combined with Lake Luzern and wide field of green grass made it so calming. This was just the first day and I was already in awe of the nature and landscape.

We then went back to Luzern to just walk around the old town and take pictures of the Chapel Bridge and a few other architectures. Since it was a Sunday, many shops are closed so we just walked around town. Though Bachmann was open so we enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate (not great, wouldn’t recommend) -> check 16 Nov and 23 Nov itinerary for good hot chocolate. Our dinner was at Rathaus Brauerei, one of the most recommended restaurant in Luzern. It was good, and the staff was nice. TIP FOR ASIAN TOURIST : Since we are Asian (a group of 6 people) and Western world’s portion are much larger than normal Asian portion, we only ordered 5 portion and the restaurant had no problem with it. We also have asked and mentioned if it’s okay to share since we don’t want to offend or go against the culture, and they are totally fine with it. So don’t worry about not ordering for the whole group, as long as you are polite about it.

Satisfaction Score (for the itinerary during the day): 7/10

• 14 Nov = Luzern – Vitznau – Mt. Rigi

We took the very first cruise in the morning from Luzern to Vitznau at 9 AM, so it wasn’t too crowded, especially during November since it’s low season. But you WILL still see tourists as well, so don’t expect empty cruise. I would say it’s around 60% capacity. The view from the cruise was a mix of green, yellow, brown (basically autumn colors but towards the end of autumn). I’m sure it would be prettier during early autumn. The train up from Vitznau to Rigi had great views. TIP : Sit on the left side going up, and sit on the right side going down. Rigi Kulm itself was very cold, even though the weather was only around 2-4 degree Celcius, but the wind was so strong that my selfie stick was almost blown away by the wind. The view was good, and it was a little bit cloudy/foggy but it made the view became magical. You will see this view many times in Switzerland in November, where there will be low fog on the hills. It was so mesmerizing to look at.

Satisfaction Score (for the itinerary during the day): 8/10

• 15 Nov = Luzern – Montreux – Gstaad – Les Diablerets

We took the direct train (not golden line panoramic train) from Luzern directly to Montreux (transit Lausanne), and we had a very nice view of Lake Geneva (Lac Leman), stayed at Eurotel. We reached at around noon and had lunch nearby, then went to Gstaad. We took the replacement bus from Montreux to Montbovon, then panoramic train to Gstaad. TIP : SBB mobile app is your greatest weapon for Swiss Trip. It is such an amazing app that I planned everything up to the minute through the app so we can be efficient with our time. The replacement bus ride to Montbovon was very very scenic as you look at the villages and mountains all around you. The panoramic train was also breathtaking. To be honest I have no more words to describe the experience, you just have to visit Switzerland and experience it yourself.

For Gstaad, we reached at around 2.30 PM and many shops were closed, so we just walk around Gstaad promenade, took some pictures, and bought some food at Coop. Since we had more time, we then took a bus to Les Diablerets (totally unplanned) and it was a good decision. The ride itself was very scenic as well because the mountain that we looked at Gstaad was actually the icy mountain that hosts Glacier 3000 and Peak Walk Tissot, and the route that the bus took routed the mountains. At Les Diablerets, we took some pictures, then went back to Montreux by train via Aigle. Man, the views of the mountains are amazing.

• 16 Nov = Montreux – Chillon Castle – Geneve

In the morning, we went to Chillon Castle early (around 9 AM) before it opened, and we pretty much had the whole outer side of castle for ourselves. The lake view beside the castle was so amazing that we took 30 minutes just to pose and take pictures (see attachment). The weather was very clear too so we are able to take panoramic pictures along with icy mountains far away from the Chillon Castle as the background making it so beautiful (Note: one of Windows stock photos is Chillon Castle with icy mountain as the background, yes that is what we see, it’s that amazing). The castle itself was full of historical stories, though I’m not gonna put it here. Do pay the castle a visit.

In the afternoon, we visited Geneva. It was an Okay-looking town, and there are many museums. I just personally don’t like cities/towns that is crowded that much, and it was quite crowded. The aura was quite loud, so I didn’t quite like it (but that’s just me). I’m sure lots of people do like it. I pretty much just sat around relaxing and looking at people while my families are shopping (the girls loved it since it has many shopping stores). Near the afternoon, as 3 of the group is still shopping, the other 3 of us looked for hot chocolate. We google searched some recommendations and stumbled upon La Bonbonnière Chocolaterie Genève, and we drank the hot chocolate there. It was very thick and creamy, soooooo good. But very sweet. Would’ve loved if it’s not as sweet. Hot chocolate score: 9/10

In the evening, we had dinner at Les Amures Hotel Restaurant (we previously had reserved it). I decided to reserve that restaurant as many said the cheese fondue was good. So… I tried the cheese fondue. As much as I hate to say it, I am not really a fan of the cheese fondue. I can eat it, but I just don’t really enjoy it. I think it just doesn’t really suit the Asian tongue. Although I am sure for people who liked the taste, it is good. The texture itself was good, stretchy and all, but there’s just certain smell that I can’t really enjoy. Fondue score: 6/10* (*again, as an Asian, might not represent the true score).

Satisfaction Score (for the itinerary during the day): 7/10

• 17 Nov = Montreux – Zermatt – Gornegrat

We took early morning train and replacement bus from Montreux to Zermatt (transit Visp and Tasch). The view was good as well (I won’t say it anymore, ALL OF SWITZERLAND’S VIEW FROM BUS AND TRAIN ARE ALWAYS AMAZING AND UNIQUE). We reached Zermatt at around 11 AM, and we ate simple lunch, then went up to Gornegrat. We were lucky that the weather is very fine, very little cloud. At Gornegrat, the view of Matterhorn was so amazing and breathtaking. TIPS : DO NOT BELIEVE PICTURES ON THE INTERNET, BECAUSE THE REAL VIEW FROM YOUR EYE IS EVEN MORE AMAZING. The mountains and Matterhorn is MUCH BIGGER from your eyes rather than in picture (photo attached). It’s just so magnificent. The weather is not windy so we had a great time taking pictures even though it’s around -5 degree Celcius up at Gornegrat.

After that, we went down back to Zermatt and took 1 hour rest in our hotel, then started walking up to Zermatt Viewpoint where you can see Matterhorn from afar while overlooking the village of Zermatt. I took a timelapse there for around 1 hour and took pictures. Great view. Nothing much to say.

Satisfaction Score (for the itinerary during the day): 10/10 – Matterhorn just looks so huge and majestic up at Gornegrat

• 18 Nov = Zermatt – Interlaken – Thun

We took our time and enjoy our hotel in the morning and started our trip again to Interlaken from around 8.30 AM. The trip took around 3 hours as there’s quite a lot of transit. We then checked in into our Airbnb, and then proceeded to eat lunch nearby. Our itinerary was to enjoy the Lake Thun Cruise as I know we need “slower” days to relax. The cruise lake was around 2 hours and we dropped off at Oberhofen instead of Thun, since I was more interested in Oberhofen Castle. My goodness the lake is so blue even though the weather was not fully sunny. Imagine on a clear summer day, it would’ve been so blue. Yes, IT IS BLUE, SAME AS THE ONES YOU LOOK ON THE INTERNET. It’s mindblowing.

• 19 Nov = Interlaken – Blausee – Adelboden

We went to Blausee in the morning and reached at around 9 AM. The small hike was very calming, feels like you’re in a small forest. Once I reached Blausee, it was a little bit underwhelming. The reason why is because it was not too sunny so the reflection of the lake was not that good, and the trees color are mostly already dull. I don’t really recommend Blausee in November because it has pretty much loses its charm, but it’s still very good lake regardless. I am damn sure it would look amazing on September/October. I can imagine how it looks so amazing during full blown autumn or during winter season.

After Blausee, we took a bus to Adelboden. Adelboden is a gem that not many tourists know about. During our visit to Adelboden, we only see locals, no tourists at all. So it feels very “private”. We went up to Tschetenalp using the cable car, and the view of the alps as well as Adelboden village from up there was so mesmerizing. You’ve got to be there. There are groups of people paragliding and we enjoyed looking at them getting ready and then taking off. The giant swing overlooking the village was also breathtaking. It was a little bit scary as it’s quite slippery but worthwhile. Getting to the swing is not as easy as it looks as there’s a slope, not a flat land. Combined with ice and some wind, it can be scary. Would advise to be careful. (photo attached). Adelboden is a GEM, MUST VISIT.

Satisfaction Score (for the itinerary during the day): 9/10 – would be 10 if Blausee is during its peak season.

• 20 Nov = Interlaken – Murren – Lauterbrunnen – Meiringen – Lungern

Went up to Murren via Grutschalp cable car, and the views are absolutely beautiful. Seeing Lauterbrunnen and Staubbach Falls from the Cable car is a treat. Unfortunately since it’s low season, Murren is basically dead, combined with it being on a Sunday. But because of that, we managed to get so many good pictures with no people at all, it’s like renting the whole Murren for ourselves. After an hour up in Murren, we went down to Lauterbrunnen. Not much to say other than it looks more amazing in real life than in pictures. There’s a reason why Lauterbrunnen is called “heaven on earth”. It feels so magical to look at.

After Lauterbrunnen, we went to Meiringen by bus. On the way, lake Brien z was so blue because it was very sunny so it was a treat to look at throughout the whole bus ride. When we are close to Meiringen, we also passed Oltschibachfall that often shows up in Instragram but not many people know about its whereabout (I knew because of lots of research and asking around), so upon passing Oltschibachfall, I managed to record a video from the bus ride and capture its beauty.

At Meiringen, we at first planned to do Aareschlucht but it was not open, so we went to Sherlock Holmes Museum. It’s very small and nothing much is there, although if you’re a fan of Sherlock Holmes, you’ll be quite excited to listen to the story. I watched the movie and the series by Benedict Cumberbatch, but we pretty much just walked around for 10 minutes and get out because we didn’t see anything too interesting. We then went to Lake Lungern to view one of the most beautiful blue lakes in Switzerland, and it REALLY IS a sight to see. Especially it’s very empty on a Sunday. We walked down from the train station to Lungern, and took pictures, sat by the lake and just enjoy the sight.Satisfaction Score (for the itinerary during the day): 9/10

• 21 Nov = Interlaken – Basel – Bern (totally unplanned)

We decided to go to Basel and Bern because we managed to visit Lungern the previous day, and figured that we can slip in Iseltwald the next day since our next day was only to Grindelwald. I would say this is pretty much the “worst” visit of the trip especially to Basel. As much as I love Switzerland, I just don’t see Basel interesting at all. And the vibe that I got from Basel doesn’t have the calm and relaxing atmosphere that I got from other place. I feel like I have to be on my guard at all times as it’s crowded (I know Switzerland is very safe but you still need to be on guard, because 1 mistake where you lose your bags/passport can be disastrous for your most amazing trip to Switzerland). We only spent 2 hours walking around Basel and eating lunch (I ate crepe and it was good, not amazing though). Wouldn’t come back.

In the afternoon, we went to Bern since it’s on our way back, and Bern is so much better than Basel, the vibe has that old town vibe, and we found a few spots where we can sit down and just take in the “old town” view. The place feels very antique as there are a lot of old buildings. Sadly we didn’t explore too much of the town as we are quite tired from yesterday’s packed schedule so we went home early to do some shopping at Migros for snacks to bring back home and share with our friends/families.

Score (for the itinerary during the day): 5/10 – [0/10 for Basel, 9/10 for Bern]

• 22 Nov = Interlaken – Iseltwald – Grindelwald

As Iseltwald is very famous nowadays, we went there quite early and reached around 8. There was already a tour bus taking pictures, but they were considerate and didn’t take too long. We queued at the Crash Landing on You bridge for pictures and we only waited 10 minutes (I’ve seen google review stated they had to wait more than 30 min), so we were fortunate to come early in the morning. TIPS : COME EARLY IN THE MORNING to avoid crowds (because when we are going back from Iseltwald, there are 3 more tour buses coming and it became crowded). It’s not too sunny so the picture we took was not that amazing, but when you just look at it, you will be amazed by the view, it’s great. Lake is blue as always, would be even better during sunny days.

Next up is Grindelwald. Wow… the view of the mountain is indescribable. It’s soooo HUGEEEE. The ones you see in the picture? Yeah that’s a lie. The view in real life is 10000000x better than the ones in picture. The ones in the picture look tiny in comparison to the real one. It’s just “there” in front of your eye, soooo bigg. No other comments, just blown away by it’s amazingness. Especially the weather was also clear but full of snow, it was very magical seeing some low fogs clearing up while the mountains have snow on them. We didn’t go up to Jungfraujoch as we had enough of the alps from Matterhorn and Adelboden (it’s also very expensive) so we decided to not go up.

Score (for the itinerary during the day): 10/10

• 23 Nov = Interlaken – Zurich

Towards the end of the trip, we had planned to stay at Zurich for 2 nights so it’s easier to catch the plane early in the morning. We went to Lindt Home of Chocolate, but to be honest, it’s not too interesting inside. The “all you can try” chocolate is great and all but since they’re all very sweet, you can’t really eat too much chocolate anyway, so the 15 CHF you pay is more for the experience itself. If I can go back in time, I recommend to just skip the chocolate tour, and go straight to the Shop and do a shopping spree. There’s so much flavor that you can’t get anywhere else like Pistachio, whole Hazelnut, new flavors, etc etc etc. So… many… things… to… buy.

We then went to Bahnhofstrasse to do some luxury shopping (not me), and I looked for Sprungli hot chocolate since it’s recommended. I would say if you want a good hot chocolate, do Sprungli. It’s not too sweet, not too thick, quite creamy enough, and tastes good. I am sure there are other places that have good hot chocolate, but for new visitors who just want to have good hot chocolate, Sprungli would be good. Nothing much to say for this post, just walking around, enjoying the vibe. Yes, somehow while Zurich is crowded, I can still enjoy the vibe, it has the relaxing Swiss vibe as compared to Basel. It’s comforting to just walk around the old town and Bahnhofstrasse.

Score (for the itinerary during the day): 7/10

• 24 Nov = Zurich – St. Moritz – Zurich

At first we wanted to do day trip to Liechenstein, but scratched it off and visited St. Moritz instead because we wanted to explore those areas. The train from Zurich to St. Moritz is the BEST TRAIN I’VE EVER RIDDEN. Rhatische Bahn from Landquart to St Moritz is EXTREMELY CLEAN and WELL MAINTAINED. Even though it’s not Glacier Express or Bernina Express, it feels like one, very amazing. The views are also spectacular as we saw snowy mountains, villages, rivers, etc. Just basking our eyes one final time before we leave Switzerland for 2022. In St. Moritz, the weather is very sunny so we were very lucky to be able to take picture of Lake St. Moritz in its full glory (white blue white) and fully reflective of the mountains (photo attached). So beautiful and mesmerizing. Since the train ride back to Zurich was 3.5 hours, we went back at around 2.30 PM and reached Zurich at almost 6. We then had dinner at Zeughauskeller for the best meal I’ve ever had in Switzerland (not my whole life, but it’s very very good). I had the pork shank, 100/10, very tender. MUST TRY. After the dinner, we visited Wienachtsdorf (Christmas Market) and enjoyed the vibe there. Not too long though as we had to go back to hotel early to pack up for tomorrow’s flight early in the morning.

Score (for the itinerary during the day): 8/10

And… that sums the whole trip up. Such an amazing country to visit. For my trip, I would rate it 9/10. Would’ve been a perfect 10 if I planned a little bit better for the routes, but I think it’salready good enough as I manage to visit pretty much all the “big” attractions. There are many smaller places I wanted to visit, but it’s either closed during low season, or hard/too far to reach (like Lac Bleu, Appenzell Ebenalp, Lugano Lucarno Area, etc).

TIPS:

1. For Asian Tourists, don’t worry too much about ordering 1 portion per person. We are a group of 6 and we usually only order 4 big portions + a soup or a salad, and the restaurant are always fine with it (we ate at restaurants 7 days out of 12 days, the rest are either sandwiches/lunch at coop/migros, or cooking at our Airbnb).
    2. For drinks at restaurants, no need to worry if you don’t order drinks. Our group of 6 only orders 2 beers usually, as the rest don’t really drink beers and sodas, we bring our own water and the restaurants are fine with it. I do highly recommend the beers, but it’s not really a problem if you don’t order drink. Make sure to be polite about it and don’t drink your own drink, but just eat, and then drink outside when you’re done eating.
    3. Plan your trips using SBB Mobile. It’s an amazing app, helps you so much. ONLY TRUST SBB MOBILE. Some locals can give you inaccurate (not wrong) information. During our last day when we had to go to the airport and I had no signal on my phone, a local told us that S24 train can go to Zurich Airport from Zurich Wiedikon, but SBB mobile said the fastest is S2 as it directly goes to the airport instead of circling around Zurich HB. Just be careful of who you listen to, TRUST SBB MOBILE. All the delays, renovations, maintenance work are ALL LISTED THERE. It’s so well integrated in my opinion.
    4. For Asian Tourists, do plan ahead if you’re travelling with people who can’t eat Western Food. As I’ve lived in the US for 5 years, I’m used to Western diet, but not for my family, so do plan ahead and look around restaurants that might have menus that your older Asian family/members can eat.
    5. For toilets, some of you might have heard that you have to pay to use the toilet. While that is true for some cities/towns, generally there are usable and free toilets in most stations. Throughout our whole 12 day trip and visiting so many places, I only paid for toilet 3 times (1 in Basel, 1 in Bern, and 1 more I forgot). Do not worry too much, as long as you go to the toilet after you’ve reached a station, do look out for it. It’s not a big problem as some people who say it’s hard to find free toilet. (WC/toiletten is toilet).
    6. A common misconception that some people have is Swiss people is cold or not polite. In fact during my whole trip, I’ve felt very welcomed. It’s not like in the US where everyone will ask how are you, but they treat you with utmost respect. Everytime I walk around I feel safe, and sometimes a simple nod and smile go a long way. When I ride the bus/train and ask if I can sit beside a person, they always smile and open about it. The locals don’t talk to you, but it’s perfect because I love the company but don’t like small talk. So overall, I feel very welcomed and warm throughout my trip.
    7. For people who are curious about transport, do NOT worry too much. Some might ask how do I use Swiss Travel Pass? It’s VERY EASY. Just buy it from the website recommended from this forum or the SBB official website, you’ll get a pdf with barcode. Every time you go on a bus or train, JUST RIDE IT, no need to worry. There will sometimes be train attendants that check it, they’ll use their phone and scan your barcode, and that’s it. It’s not like in Asia where you have to “pay or do something first”. You simply just RIDE the train and bus, and if there’s a check, show them your barcode and you’re done. It’s VERY SIMPLE. The system is built based on trust that you will not cheat the system, not like in Asia where people often abuse these kind of things. PS: During my 12 day trip, only train ride and cruises do check your STP. Buses never check your STP. Regardless, buy STP anyway, it’s very useful (or other pass that might suit your travel more).
    8. For train transfer or change platform, usually train station have 2 or more level (floors), so you usually reach on ground floor, then the way you change platform is there will be stairs/lifts/escalators to go up or to go down, and then you simply follow the arrow to the platform you want, then then you go up/down the stairs/lifts/escalators and you will reach that platform. Do not think too much about it, the system is very well thought. As long as you have common sense to follow directions, it’s EXTREMELY EASY. ALSO USE SBB MOBILE APP, it tells you which platform to change to as well.
    9. Some people will say November is the worst time to visit Switzerland. DO NOT BE SWAYED BY IT. Switzerland is STILL AMAZING EVEN IN NOVEMBER. While you don’t get some of the most amazing views, it’s still very beautiful to look at. DO NOT WORRY about maintenance work and renovations for some routes, as there will be replacement buses and you will still be able to enjoy the scenery. Many attractions are closed, but Switzerland has SO MANY PLACES that you can enjoy even in low season. It’s fun that you can take picture without many people in the background, making it perfect time to get good photos. AND IT’S CHEAP in November. Weather can be varied, but I don’t really see much problem with the weather. Do check the weather every day and be flexible. Some towns/villages or sceneries are fine under any weather conditions. Do extensive research on which places are fine on which weather, that’s why my trip was great because I moved things around depending on the weather.

I think these are enough, hopefully my report and tips/notes can help you plan your dream trip to Switzerland. BIG THANKS TO THIS FORUM AS WELL, such an amazing forum. That’s why I wanted to write this extensive report to help out other people who are interested in Switzerland. You will NOT be disappointed to visit Switzerland. And it’s not as expensive as you think it is so long as you don’t eat out too much.

• Arno
    15486 posts
    27 November 2022 at 12:47:09 #948551

Hi Felix suroso!

Thanks for posting this extensive trip report. I’m amazed about the many sites you were able to visit in just 12 days! That sure required detailed planning. Nice that you hadn’t a very fixed itinerary though that left room for spontaneous trips, e.g. to Bern and Basel. The Swiss Travel Pass offers just that kind of flexibility. Happy you hear you appreciated it.

Your report and brilliant pictures show that November can be a great time to visit the country. I fully agree, and I even think visiting in low season can be extra rewarding as there will be fewer tourists than in other months. You won’t get bored, even if not all of the tourist attractions are accessible. I think your final score of a 9 sums it up well :-).

Thanks for your list of helpful tips! I’m sure they’re useful for other travelers.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    27 November 2022 at 15:36:05 #948552

Great trip report! It is always helpful to include details on places, food, and transit tips for future or returning travelers. I appreciate your information on hot chocolate – we went to Sprungli a few years back but bought several varieties of truffles (delicious) instead of having hot chocolate. We’ll try that next time. Interesting to see your opinion on Basel. We thought about going there for a day trip but decided on somewhere else instead; seems like that was a good decision. I like the photos too. It is hard to take a bad picture in Switzerland.

Are you already planning your next trip? Switzerland is kind of addictive.

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    28 November 2022 at 3:38:52 #948553

Thank you very much Arno, hope this report helps other travellers. Love Switzerland so much!

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    28 November 2022 at 3:42:48 #948554

Hi CabinJon, thanks for your comment. As much as I’d like to and would definitely come back, I probably will only come back around 2025 or 2026 (unless I somehow get a shitton of money all of a sudden). 2023 I am planning to save up so I can pay off my mortgage faster, I’m at 70% done so hopefully in 2023 I can bump the mortgage payment up to 90% so only 1-2 years left. For 2024, I have promised my family including my 2 sisters that I would take them to Japan (2nd time for me) since it’s cheaper than Switzerland. So maybe 2025 or 2026 hopefully. This time round, I would love to just visit the places I love and maybe a few new places, but not a packed itinerary. Want to just sit by the lake or by the mountains, eat something and do nothing for hours and just enjoy the view, wind down.

Anna
    6434 posts
    28 November 2022 at 6:56:00 #948555

Hi Felix suroso,

Thanks for sharing your travel experience. Really appreciate the effort you put into writing a comprehensive report. I am sure our fellow travellers will find your information and tips useful especially regarding food and the weather in November 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2022 at 7:39:17 #948556

Great information.

It would have been very useful to know where you stayed each night.

im currently putting together 14 days next May.

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    28 November 2022 at 7:50:25 #948557

Hi Neal,

here are the places I’ve stayed + my impressions + the prices (note for the price is the price I got for November. Other months might be different because November is low season)

13-15 Nov = Holiday Inn Express Luzern – Kriens = only 2 stations from Luzern main station (5 min train ride), close to Subway and small Migros. Very worth it for the budget and price you pay. 100 CHF per night per room (2 person)

15-17 Nov = Eurotel Hotel Montreux = amazing view and great breakfast. costed me around 200 CHF per night per room (2 person)

17-18 Nov = Best Western Alpen Resort = direct Matterhorn view. Room is a little bit old style with old style heater. Big toilet. Breakfast not so great. Has some variety but not as much as Eurotel. costed me around 360 CHF per night per big room (3 person). I chose 3 person room because it’s cheaper.

18-23 Nov = Airbnb (Interlaken – Apartment Beat) = Amazing Airbnb, very suited for families that want to cook to save money, or just a cheap and cozy Airbnb. 950 CHF for 1 whole apartment (6 people) for 5 nights, so around 190 CHF per night for the WHOLE apartment (average 63 CHF per room per night 2 person).

23-25 Nov = Crowne Plaza IHG Zurich = Decent service, but unfortunately VERY SMALL. Wouldn’t really recommend it, maybe try something else. I paid 1200 CHF for 3 rooms 2 nights, so around 200 CHF per room per night (2 person).

Recommendation : Rather than Eurotel Hotel Montreux (even though it’s good), look around Grindelwald or Adelboden famous hotel. I think it costs almost the same but the views are much more amazing (unless you want to stay in Montreux area and have great lake views). If budget is not a problem, stay at Zermatt for 2 nights instead, I think you would’ve enjoyed relaxing time in Zermatt.

Skip staying at Zurich, I just realized that there are many trains that you can take from other bigger cities like Interlaken, Bern, Luzern that goes to the airport as well, so no need to stay at Zurich just because you want to catch your flight. Would probably better to stay at Luzern, do day trip shopping to Zurich, then go back to Luzern for your hotel. Luzern to Zurich Airport isn’t too far, but you’ll get much better hotel rather than the ones you spend at Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2022 at 7:57:32 #948558

Thanks for quick and detailed reply.

yes planning a few nights in Zermatt.

my research is that Zurich is costly but still no more than what I have to pay to visit family in Sydney next weekend. We need to stay there as we are doing a few days in Munich to visit friends.

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    28 November 2022 at 8:08:57 #948559

No problem, glad to help. For Zurich if you have to stay there, maybe look for H+ Hotel. It has good review in google. I was initially debating whether to choose H+ Hotel or Crowne Plaza but my family preferred Crowne Plaza just because it’s an international hotel. While the service is good, the room is very small. Breakfast is good though. Just some things you might want to consider.

If you only have 1-2 luggage, it shouldn’t be really a problem.

Mark
    Participant
    806 posts
    28 November 2022 at 21:44:50 #948560

Hi Felix

thanks for a very good and thoughtful trip report. Im glad you had an enjoyable experience and I can tell you put a lot of thought and planning into your trip. Should you decide to return to Switzerland you might consider visiting the Ticino region.

It has a very different and distinct feel to it compared to the regions you visited. We particularly enjoyed staying in Locarno/ Ascona area. Lake Maggiore is very scenic. Lugano is very popular as well. The area is very close to northern Italy and we combined Locarno with a trip to the Italian Dolomites.

Mark

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    3 December 2022 at 0:54:29 #948561

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comment. I am very interested on what you suggest, which is to combine Locarno/Lugano with Italian Dolomites. I looked at Google and it seems like the trip there needs 6 hours of train rides. May I know your high-level itinerary if you don’t mind, or just the routes are fine, and I will research into that. Dolomites is definitely one of my bucket list as well, huge mountains that would probably look even better in real life. Hoping to be able to visit Swiss and Italy in the next 3-4 years. Thanks

Sarahleai
    Participant
    12 posts
    5 December 2022 at 0:51:08 #948562

Thank you for your great trip report. We are going to Switzerland for the first time in a few weeks.

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    14 May 2023 at 23:54:14 #948563

Hi Felix,

Thanks for such a wonderful and detailed trip report which was so enjoyable to read. We are headed there in mid nov-early Dec 2023 and it’s comforting to know you had a great time.

I was worried that we chose the wrong time to travel but we wanted to experience some of the Christmas markets. Also to visit some places eg Zermatt (prefer the Matterhorn with snow) and Montreaux which we will miss out on our earlier trips. We are headed to the Bernese Oberland next month June 2023 for the greenery and flowers.

Like yourself, we are not keen on cities and prefer the countryside and amazing alps. We have based ourselves in Wengen in our last 3 trips and just can’t get enough of the picture postcard views. So we are headed there again next month but skipping it for the Nov trip

Living in asia, it’s such a treat to take in the views and fresh air (although I wish ppl would not pollute the alpine air by smoking).

Once again thank you for the great trip report.

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    15 May 2023 at 2:40:28 #948564

Hi Traveljet,

I’m glad that you enjoy my trip report. I’m sure you’ll definitely enjoy your time there in Nov-Dec as there are so few people that taking perfect pictures is very doable without any (or very few) people on your background. Depending on your itinerary, some of the excursions might already be open so do check out where you’re going and plan it out, though I’m sure you’re more experienced than me since you’ve been there a few times. Wengen is one of my biggest regrets (because I didn’t go there), and Murren was so empty at that time. I should’ve visited Wengen instead of Murren, and will definitely make Wengen my homebase next time in Jungfrau area. If you visit Zermatt at the end of November, I’m sure it’s already snowing. It was already snowing mid-November (in 2022), though to be safe because we don’t know the climate these days, end of Nov 2023 or start of Dec 2023 might be a safer choice to visit Zermatt. If money isn’t really an issue, I suggest staying for a few nights instead of just 1 night. For my case, I was just lucky to stay at 1 night and the weather is clear when I went up to Gornegrat, AND heavy snow the next day. So I experienced both the clear weather to view Matterhorn from Zermatt (on the first day), and snow covered Zermatt (on the second day). I am sure you’ll enjoy it.

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    15 May 2023 at 8:10:30 #948565

Hi Felix, nice to hear from you. If you do make it to Switzerland again, mid September is a nice time to visit the Wengen region as there is still greenery and less crowds. From your trip report, I believe your preferences are similar to ours. Less crowds, avoid the cities and head for the countrysides.

We usually stay at least 7N to truly make full use of the rides and walks in the region. Stay in a hotel in Wengen that serves halfboard to save you the hassle of looking for dinner. Unlike some travellers, we like to stay at least 4N to soak in each place rather than trying to rush around trying to cover too much. However, we are blessed to have that luxury of time since we are now retired and can budget accordingly.

One walk you must do is the PANORAMIC WALK FROM MANNLICHEN TO KLEINE SCHEIDEGG. In this direction you will face the swiss alps and Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau right in front as you do the walk. The ride up to Mannlichen is from Wengen itself. This coming trip in June, we will be there again for 7N and intend to do the other walks which we missed out on in our previous visit. We also want to repeat the long beautiful cable car ride from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Terminal and then experience the Eiger Express to Eigergletscher and walk down to Klein Scheidegg.

Inspite of people saying going up to Jungfraujoch is expensive (which I don’t deny) – it’s still once in a lifetime experience for us. We only did it once and that was good enough. The train ride from Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg with the rockface so close is jaw dropping for us. Then up to Jungfraujoch provided the weather is good.

We enjoyed Murren in September and one of the highlights is the BIRG THRILL WALK not to be missed if you are not afraid of heights.

Our reason for choosing Switzerland compared to the other european cities is safety and ease of public transport. Their rail and mt rides are truly 1st class – as you have experienced to some extent. When we do have to bring our luggages esp making a trip directly from the airport to the 1st base, paying for 1st class is worth it because there is so much more room. After the 1st 2 trips where we had difficulty finding space for our bags – we decided to go for the 1st class esp for the trip from the airport and also to the airport.

Another great place to visit is the Engadine area. The horse carriage ride into the Fex valley will forever be etched in our memories. So much to visit in that area too. And the best part is the guest card given by the hotel pays for all the bus and mt rides in that area.

All the best to your future travels and planning.

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    15 May 2023 at 8:47:41 #948566

Thanks a lot for the advice Traveljet. I definitely will highly consider mid September or early October on my next visit (depending on budget), also partly because I want to visit Blausee once more when it’s in full autumn foliage. Either that, or during February or March if my group wants it to be in the middle of winter.

I have added your advice on hiking Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg to my bucket list and will do it next time I visit there. My plan next time is to divide my visit into 3 sections. My group and I plans to visit Chamonix so I will allocate around 3 nights there as homebase OR Italy side of Switzerland (Ticino area to visit Foroglio and surrounding areas). Then, go to Wengen for another home base for around 4 nights. Planning to just chill, visit Adelboden/Blausee, enjoy the area (including your suggestion), maybe visit Oeschinensee and/or Gelmerbahn since it was closed last time, and definitely Grindelwald First. Finally, ending near Zurich or Lucerne since I want to visit Stoos and Appenzell, + the mums want to do some shopping in Zurich area. Also want to try going to Tissot peak walk near Les Diablerets but to be honest, I don’t know how to squeeze everything in. Switzerland is just so amazing in terms of nature sceneries and way too many things that I want to visit.

Also 100% agree with you on choosing Switzerland instead of other destinations in Europe. Many of my friends asked me why don’t you visit France (Paris), Germany, and other places. I just feel like Switzerland can cover all the things I want to do travelling. The convenience is what makes it the best place to visit. Just buy Swiss Travel Pass, and you don’t have to worry too much about anything as mostly everything is included (with proper research and planning). Maybe some other Europe countries that I want to visit are just Austria to see Hallstatt, and the Scandanavian area since it’s quite different, but then they’re so expensive and troublesome (needing to rent camper van, etc) while Switzerland everything is just a few hours away if you’re smart with your homebase and choices.

All the best to you too

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    15 May 2023 at 12:53:34 #948567

Hi Felix, I can’t help but be tickled at your desire to travel to so many places in Switzerland. That’s how I feel when I start watching those lovely videos and reading up on the experiences of travellers.

This coming June, we will use the Half Fare card and the 10D Bernese Oberland Pass which covers quite a wide area. . Our first base is in Hotel Meiringen which is just across the Meiringen station. We hope to cover the areas which we missed on our last visits eg Lake Brienz cruise, Giessbach Falls Oberhoffen, the Thun Old Town tour, Rosenlaui, Aare gorge, the interesting Gelmerbahn “open air roller coaster” up to Gelmersee, then Oeshinensee and squeeze in Blausee if we can.

Because of your report, we are going to try to make a trip to Adelboden and ride up to Tschentenalp to try the giant swing and enjoy the area. The ride up to Tschentenalp is only open on the weekend of Sat/Sun 10& 11 June which is when we will be. Asked in Meiringen. If the weather is good, we will give it a try. The Bernese Oberland Pass covers that area😁

Our 2nd base is in Wengen where we will use the 5D Jungfrau Travel Pass which covers all the mt rides and cable cars we wish to ride. we did the cable car rides to Grindelwald First which was nice long ride. However in our opinion, the First cliff walk pales in comparison to the Thrill walk up at Birg Murren. We are hoping to also repeat the Lauterbrunnen walk and maybe go to ISENFLUH if there is time.

Our last 3N this trip. we will stay in Winterthur as it’s just one train station from the airport. Hoping to visit the Schaffhausen falls and the town of Stein Am Rheim.

Note If you plan for Sept/Oct : In late September, it’s great to see all the cows coming down into the valley. There is an annual Grindelwald market every 1st Monday in Oct. We managed to catch it on one of our trips and it was real fun to experience the colourful market. So many small market stalls offering delicious foods, interesting handicrafts, odds and ends etc. enjoyed the beer and sausages outdoor. Wonderful atmosphere.

The cable cars esp Mannlichen may shut down in the later part of Oct so take note.. Also the Swiss autumn school holidays are usually the first 3 weeks in Oct.

We have been to Appenzell and the town is very nice. Ah yes…so many beautiful picture postcard sights in Switzerland. Notice so many videos tell us that each place is the best and most beautiful 😁. One of those rare countries in Europe where it’s still relatively safer and you dont get rail strikes crippling their transport system.

Personally I usually skip winter because we don’t ski and the daylight hours are so short. The scenery is basically snow in all the areas so less variety in terms of scenery and we can’t walk as much during winter. Worried about coming down with a chill too. But I can understand we all have different preferences. The exception in winter for us is Japan where we love to soak in their steaming onsens and stay in the traditional ryokans for their multi course kaiseki meals.

We will be departing in 2 weeks and arriving in Zurich Sun 4 June 2023. The weather has not been great from what I see the past week or so but let’s see what happens when we are there. Trusting the Lord will grant us favour as He has always done.

Great chatting with you. All the best.

• The thread ‘12 days across Switzerland (November 2022) + tips’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11290 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.