Itinerary & rail pass help for Zurich & Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2018 at 10:25:40 #814222

Hello all

My name is kiran and am planning for Switzerland visit from 29th march to 2nd april (4 nights). Following will be my schedule:

29th fly to zurich and stay in hotel around zurich aiport

30th planning for bus and boat tour in zurich

31st planning to go to mt titlis

1st planning for mt pilatus

2nd fly back home

This is just the plan i have made and not yet booked hotel or flights.

In view of my travel detail what would be the best option for me :

1.book a hotel around zurich airport or lucrene 2. which railway pass would be good for me so it covers most including the rides to mt titlis and pilatus. 3. Will it be worth traveeling on own to mt titlis and pilatus or is it cheaper to go with travel operators for those trips.

I would appreciate any kinds of input and suggestion from you all.

Thank you

Kiran

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2018 at 11:14:09 #875508

Hi Kiran123 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

My suggestion would be to stay in Lucerne and skip Zurich (unless there is something specific there you want to see).

Lucerne is also on a lake – Lake Lucerne so you can have a boat tour there as well and you will be much closer to Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus.

If you stay in Lucerne a great rail pass would be the Tell Pass – Winter. It will cover all your trips in that area (view a PDF map here) but won’t cover the entire trip to Lucerne from Zurich airport.
    You’ll need to buy a ticket from Zurich airport to Zug separately.

The only issue here is that the winter Pass is valid until March 31 only. After that you need the Tell-Pass summer – same validity but a bit more expensive. In your case, if your dates are fixed, you’d need to buy both passes (for 2 days each).

It is basically always cheaper to do these trips on your own – and very doable here in Switzerland. Read through the links above to read more about the towns and mountains and how to get there.

• The thread ‘Itinerary & rail pass help for Zurich & Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.