Scenic train ride from Zurich

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 16, 2018 - 5:03 AM

Hello

I am traveling to Zurich in July with family for 2 days. Our hotel in Regensdorf. Please help me to pick best option for train pass for us for 2 days traveling which includes scenic train rides. We are a family of 5 including 13,11and 2 year old baby.

Thank You

Yasir Baig

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 16, 2018 - 8:25 AM in reply to Desi Munna

Hi Yasir, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Please read this thread (www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/train-route) where someone asked a similar question.

This page helps you to choose the best rail pass.

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 18, 2018 - 10:16 AM

Hello

Thank you Chantal for your response, what you have suggested half fare travel pass good for us for 2 days? We want to visit Grindelwald First, Jungfraujoch, Mannlichen and any panoramic train tour. What's your opinion?

Thank You

Baig

Lucas
Lucas
9621 posts
expert &
Apr 18, 2018 - 10:30 AM in reply to Desi Munna

Hi Baig,

I don't think a Swiss Half Fare Card is worth it if you are only in Switzerland for 2 days. Chantal's link will help you decide which rail pass is best - IF ANY. But you must decide on your itinerary and where you will travel to in order to do the math and compare costs.

Last modified on Apr 18, 2018 - 10:30 AM by Lucas
Arno
Arno
11359 posts
expert &
Apr 20, 2018 - 12:03 PM

Hello Baig,

After re-reading your wish list it looks like you will be doing quite a lot of traveling during the two days. Jungfraujoch is rather expensive, and with adding one more trip you will already save with a Swiss Half Fare Card. Possibly even a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass.

To be sure you'll have to do the math as explained in Chantal's link. But if you are sure about that much traveling then you can't go wrong with the Swiss Half Fare Card in my opinion.

Last modified on Apr 20, 2018 - 12:03 PM by Arno
Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 20, 2018 - 12:31 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 20, 2018 - 12:37 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you Arno...I guess 3 day Swiss pass will work for us....Can I buy Swiss travel pass in advance? Also could you please tell me which panoramic train ride and cable car overed by Swisss travel pass?

You guys are awesome

Thanks for help

Baig

Arno
Arno
11359 posts
expert &
Apr 20, 2018 - 1:03 PM in reply to Desi Munna

Yes, you can buy it online and print it at home, please see: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. I'd recommend either the official web shop at https://www.swissrailw ays.com/en (pick the Online Ticket delivery option after filling out your address, or Happy Rail: https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive.

You can download the map to see what's covered: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. Basically all trains/buses/boats are free, mountain trips are discounted by 50% (Jungfraujoch 25%, some others are free).

Enjoy your trip!

Last modified on May 17, 2018 - 5:27 PM by Arno
Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 20, 2018 - 1:21 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you very much Arno

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 20, 2018 - 7:18 PM in reply to Arno

Hello Arno

If I ask you which panoramic train ride is most scenic, what your opinion about it?

Lucas
Lucas
9621 posts
expert &
Apr 21, 2018 - 7:17 AM in reply to Desi Munna

From the Zurich area, I think the Bernina Express is a good option (long day though). Take a regional train from Zurich/Regensdorf to Chur and then to Tirano, Italy (same route as the BEX train). Then you can return to Chur on the actual BEX train at 14:25 (if you want to or take another regional train back).

Another option could be the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Lugano. Another long day though. The easiest option would be the Voralpen Express from St. Gallen to Lucerne but I think not quite as spectacular as the two mentioned above.

Last modified on May 29, 2018 - 10:02 AM by Arno
rockoyster
rockoyster
4027 posts
expert
Apr 21, 2018 - 7:48 AM in reply to Desi Munna

The Gotthard Bernina Circular Tour is an option if you are up for 10 hour of travel (with time for a nice pizza in Tirano).

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 21, 2018 - 2:02 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you Rockoyster

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 21, 2018 - 2:03 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas.....where we can get Titlis Rotair gondola cable car which city?

Arno
Arno
11359 posts
expert &
Apr 21, 2018 - 4:40 PM

Hi Yasir,

It departs from Engelberg. You'll find all details here: www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis.

Last modified on Apr 21, 2018 - 4:40 PM by Arno
Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 22, 2018 - 8:14 PM

Thank you very much guys.. Could you please confirm that Schilthorn cable ride is 100% covered by the Swiss Travel Pass?

rockoyster
rockoyster
4027 posts
expert
Apr 22, 2018 - 9:07 PM in reply to Desi Munna

Correct. Free with STP.

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 23, 2018 - 11:34 AM

Hello

What is the best route to get a Schilthorn cable ride.We are staying in Regensdorf area.

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 23, 2018 - 11:58 AM in reply to Desi Munna

Hi Desi,

Please refer to the following page: www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere and use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip.

Desi Munna
Desi Munna
13 posts
Apr 23, 2018 - 12:18 PM in reply to Chantal

Thank you Chantal

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018