I am reaching Basel on 7th April morning at 8 am and am based out of Lucerne till 11th April afternoon. I am travelling with 71 year old mother (healthy- however has a bit of trouble in walking long distances and uneven surfaces due to a rod in the thigh) and 12 year old son.
Main interest:Mainly sightseeing with more focus on enjoying scenic beauty Science museums if any (since son loves science related themes, star wars, etc. Not much of interest in theme parks, adventure sports, etc, etc)
In summary, “A STRICT NO-NO TO ADVENTURES, SNOW ACTIVITIES” and As much as possible, easier to reach any place of interest by some means of public transport with reasonable convenience.
Considering the above in mind, below is my planned itinerary:
- Day 1: (In and around LUCERNE) Do a round trip of Pilatus via the new Dragon rope car – 2-3 hours (considering the cogwheel is closed and ascent as well as descent via rope car). Do a Mount Rigi round trip - 5 hours. Lucerne sightseeing in evening.
- Day 2: BERN + BELLINZONA Lucerne to Bellinzona via train- 2.5 hours. Bellinzona- Castelgrande – 1 hour sightseeing of Castelgrande. Bellinzona to Brig via Domodossola – 3.5 hours. Brig to Bern – 1 hour. Bern sightseeing – 2 hour. Bern to Lucerne – 1 hour.
- Day 3: RHINE FALLS + ZURICH Lucerne - Rhine fall - 2 hours. In and around Rhine falls - 2 hours. Rhine to Zurich - 1 hour. Zurich - Limmat river cruise- 1 hour. Zurich sightseeing - 2 hours.
- Day 4: Till 3 pm STANSERHORN. Cabrio car : the only open cable car.
I request you to review the above itinerary.
Also, below are my questions:
1. Considering it is beginning April, is it advisable to do PILATUS as well as RIGI. Will there be any difference in terms of experience? I understand Pilatus cogwheel is not there until mid-May. Is it still worth visiting the peak in Pilatus through the Dragon cable car?
2. I initially wanted to do Titlis as well. However, I am not sure if the experience will be different or it will be very similar to any other summit because there may be less greenery in April. Also, i found that Titlis is taller than Pilatus. Considering none of us prefer playing in snow, is it still worth to go to Titlis apart from Rigi and Pilatus?
3. I wanted to do Bernina route- however decided on the Willem Tell route for Day 2 via Italian part considering the time of the travel. Is this better or do you still suggest something like Bernina or Chocklate train?
4. Is Stanserhorn worth a visit or is it better to do Chocklate train to Montreux?
Awaiting your reply,