Jungfrau Travel Pass coverage

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    29 April 2016 at 13:09:31 #851370

Hi JennyK,

A nice initiative to help other forum members. For some reason the first link you give doesn’t work. This link works: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity From there procede to “Download the map”.

I’m sure you’ll love the BO. Enjoy!

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2016 at 20:28:16 #851371

Thanks Wandermann for fixing my link.

JK

darrell
    Participant
    38 posts
    30 April 2016 at 16:36:56 #851372

Not familiar with Jungfrau pass have you looked into the Regional Bernese Oberland Pass—we will be using this when spending a week in the Lauterbrunnen. Covers most transport in the Jungfrau area and a 50% off Jungfrau from Klein e Scheidegg train. Was surprise when certain trains were free as far away as Lucerne-Bern-Brig for a few!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your trip whatever you choose!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2016 at 16:09:47 #851373

Quite frankly I am now wondering if a pass makes sense for us at all. We will be arriving to Lauterbrunnen by car from Germany. We are staying in Wengen for just 3 nights and plan to do some hiking in the area. I only wanted the pass for some of the mountain rail/cable cars as a way to cover more ground and to have the option of an easy way back after a long day of hiking. But I see that Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg is only a 2 1/2 hour hike. So I wonder if just buying a ticket or 2 as needed is the more economical way to go. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. There are 4 of us traveling so 4 passes gets expensive and may be more than we need.

I did find this on Trip Advisor:

This was my first visit to the Alps and although I was enchanted with all the cable car rides to mountain summits, I was not enchanted with the prices. After many hour of research on the internet I hit on what was a perfect solution. Take the cable car from Grindelwald to Mannlichen (about 80 CHF for a family of 4) and walk down. The cable car ride is about 40 minutes which we found more than enough to give us the experience. The walk down takes about 3 hours. The scenary was awesome

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Sh owUserReviews-g188077-d814791-r139449344-Mannlichen-Swiss_Alps.html#

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 May 2016 at 19:22:25 #851374

Hi JennyK,

In some occasions one’s better off buying regular tickets than using a pass indeed. What’s best for your plans can only be told for sure if you make detailed calculations. Explanation on how to do so can be found here. If I were you I’d compare three options: regular full fare tickets, the Jungfrau Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. Here are some further considerations:

• are you and your travel party experienced hikers? If not, the time and effort hikes take shouldn’t be underestimated. For example: Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg isn’t that long indeed, but involves quite some climbing. Männlichen-Grindelwald is a descent of about 1000 metres. If you’re not sure if that fits your plans and stamina, you’ll have to take into account more public transporation trips than you’re estimating right now;
    • are there any kids in your travel party? If so, they can travel at low cost with a Junior Travelcard, or even for free if you get the Swiss Half Fare Card with a free Swiss Family Card;
    • even if you only make a few longer/more expensive mountain rides (especially the ones to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn), a rail pass can be worth its money. Mind that full fares add up (very) quickly. But as mentioned, you’ll have to calculate to find out.

I know this isn’t a decisive answer, but I hope it helps.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass coverage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.