Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt itinerary for April

• JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    16 February 2019 at 6:06:07 #819950

Continuing from my old thread -> http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/suggestions-for-itinerary-april-2019 (Admins, if possible please reopen my old thread and append this post with it).

It’s been a while I was preparing plan to visit Swiss. But I could not work on it for last few weeks. This week I have resumed it and it looks as follows.

Flights: Flying in and out of Geneva saves good amount of money – we can almost get one Swiss Travel Pass with that money.

Day 1: Land at Geneva in morning about 8.30-9, transfer to Zermatt and evening at leisure to explore; night in Zermatt

Day 2: Gornergrat in morning , transfer to Interlaken in after noon and evening at leisure to explore; night in Interlaken

Day 3: Schilthorn, Brig and Trümmelbachfälle – evening at leisure; night in Interlaken

Day 4: Harder Kulm in morning and leave for Lucerne in afternoon – evening at leisure; night in Lucerne

Day 5: Mt Rigi and Stanserhorn; night in Lucerne

Day 6: Mt Titlis and transfer to Bern in evening; night in Bern

Day 7: Bern City Tour and transfer to Geneva in evening; night in Geneva

Day 8: Morning flight to Zurich with layover of 12 hours, Zurich city tour – Rhine falls, fly out in flight at 22:40

I am trying to keep is not much fast paced and not too slow either. What changes could be made to this plan to make it better/comfortable ? Is staying in 5 different accommodations too much ? I have planned them so as activity gets easier next day.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2019 at 6:37:29 #904336

Day 3 – That would be Birg not Brig. Also Schilthorn is not operating 23-26 April. See http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere

Going all the way back to Geneva to catch a flight to Zurich is an interesting thing to do. If you didn’t have to do that you could just stay in Luzern and do a day trip to Bern from there. But I guess the airfare savings were a deal too good to refuse.

How about having a look at Bern after Harder Kulm then on to Luzern. Cuts out one overnight hotel switch. Then Luzern to Geneva on Golden Pass on day 7.

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    16 February 2019 at 8:16:18 #904337

Yeah that’s Birg on day 3, thanks for pointing it out!

About flights, we are able to save about CHF 350 between two of us if we fly in-out from Geneva instead of Zurich. I would still prefer to fly in-out from Zurich and hence working on a suitable itinerary of that case as well. I would take one depending on fares. In last 3-3.5 weeks, fares have not changed much.

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    19 February 2019 at 10:09:12 #904338

@rockoyster, what do you suggest to do if I can free up day 7 and checkout from Lucerne in morning ? Shall I do Montreux (Chillon castle) or Geneva city tour ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 13:18:41 #904339

Hi JarvisHK,

A nice itinerary you have.

I have one comment on Days 5 and 6.

Due to their locations it makes more sense to visit Mount Stanserhorn and Mount Titlis on one day and leave Lucerne and Mount Rigi (or Mount Pilatus) for the other day. This just a little note.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi
    http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

Regarding your plans for the Rhine Falls on Day 8 you can either take a train from Zurich Airport to the Rhine Falls (about 1 hour journey), avoiding going into Zurich City, or an organised tour, as I know there are Rhine Falls tours starting and ending at the airport.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich
    http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

Use this link for timetables: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best,
    Steph

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    19 February 2019 at 14:21:09 #904340

Thanks for your inputs Steph.

Do you suggest to free up day 7 to visit places such as Montreux or any other place? Or it would be too rushy for me ? It would look something like below;

16/4: Land at Geneva in morning about 8.30-9, transfer to Zermatt and evening at leisure to explore; night in Zermatt

17/4: Gornergrat in morning , transfer to Interlaken in after noon and Harder Kulm in evening; night in Interlaken

18/4: Bern City Tour; night in Interlaken

19/4: Schilthorn, Brig and Trümmelbachfälle – transfer to Lucerne in evening at leisure; night in Lucerne

20/4: Mt Rigi and Lucerne ; night in Lucerne

21/4: Mt Titlis and Stanserhorn; night in Lucerne

22/4: <Montreux ??> ; night in Geneva

23/4: Morning flight to Zurich with layover of 12 hours, Zurich city tour – Rhine falls, fly out in flight at 22:40

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    19 February 2019 at 15:18:34 #904341

One more query, I am thinking not to stay in Interlaken but in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen. Which one should be preferred ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2019 at 18:57:55 #904342

Hi Jarvis,

In general I recommend not to plan too much on one day. You’ll be dependent on the weather for mountain visits in particular, and it’s nice not having to rush from place to place. But ultimately that’s your decision 🙂

Lauterbrunnen is more centrally located whereas Wengen offers the better views. You can compare both villages here:

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    21 February 2019 at 4:33:29 #904343

Hi Arno,

Noted with thanks! I think I will keep it simple. I am still looking for accommodations as we are strict vegetarians and would prefer for have a kitchen where we can prepare quick food for us. This forum is helping a lot to me !

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    28 February 2019 at 6:49:18 #904344

Hello again,

Need some suggestions for scheduling in Lucerne;

This is fixed itinerary:

16/4: Land at Geneva in morning about 8.30-9, transfer to Thun, Harder Kulm at evening; night in Thun

17/4: 1-day trip to Zermatt and Gornergrat, night in Thun

18/4: Schilthorn, Birg and Trümmelbachfälle, exploring Interlaken in evening, night in Thun

Option 1:

• 19/4: Bern City Tour (luggage deposited at Bern station till evening) – transfer to Lucerne in evening; night in Lucerne
    • 20/4: Mt Rigi and Stanserhorn(Lucerne – Weggis – Rigi Kaltbad – Rigi Kulm – Vitznau – Beckenried – Stans Valley – Stanserhorn – Lucerne); night in Lucerne
    • 21/4: Mt Titlis, cheese factory in Engelberg; night in Lucerne
    • 22/4: Chocolate factory in Root, Lucerne city tour (Chappel bridge, Lion monument, etc), transfer to Geneva; night in Geneva
    • 23/4: Morning flight to Zurich with layover of 12 hours, Zurich city tour – Rhine falls, fly out in flight at 22:40

Option 2:

• 19/4: transfer to Lucerne in morning over Golden Pass, Chocolate factory in Root, Lucerne city tour (Chappel bridge, Lion monument, etc); night in Lucerne
    • 20/4: Mt Rigi and Stanserhorn(Lucerne – Weggis – Rigi Kaltbad – Rigi Kulm – Vitznau – Beckenried – Stans Valley – Stanserhorn – Lucerne); night in Lucerne
    • 21/4: Mt Titlis, cheese factory in Engelberg; night in Lucerne
    • 22/4: Bern City Tour (luggage deposited at Bern station till evening), transfer to Geneva; night in Geneva
    • 23/4: Morning flight to Zurich with layover of 12 hours, Zurich city tour – Rhine falls, fly out in flight at 22:40

Which option is better ? Any other changes required?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 17:25:54 #904345

Hi Jarvis

From what I can see, the options on your itinerary are basically the same destinations just in a different order. I would choose option 2, based on the travel back from Bern, as it’s shorter. It would be better to do the longer travel to Lucerne during the day as this would be more impressive.

I am as confused as Rockoyster though, in why you are going to Geneva and then flying to Zurich to then fly out of Zurich (if I’ve understood correctly?). Option 2 for example could be done from Bern to Zurich directly if you have the ongoing travel from there anyways… or am I missing something?

Maria.

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    28 February 2019 at 18:18:17 #904346

Thanks Maria !

About going to Geneva to fly out from Zurich, my air tickets are costing in such a manner. I saved about CHF 455 by flying in/out of Geneva instead of Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2019 at 13:44:04 #904347

Hi Jarvis

Congratulations on the savings which totally makes sense!

What still doesn’t make sense is why you’re returning to Geneva on the way back, if you already have a flight leaving from Zurich? Maybe I missed something! I’m referring to your comment “23/4: Morning flight to Zurich with layover of 12 hours, Zurich city tour – Rhine falls, fly out in flight at 22:40″

The question in my mind is why not go straight to Zurich from Lucerne?

But don’t worry, as long as you are happy with it is what counts haha.

Maria.

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    1 March 2019 at 14:53:43 #904348

Hi Maria,

My return flight originates from Geneva and has layover at Zurich. If I was selecting Zurich for flying out,even for same flight which I am taking after coming from Geneva, cost was again getting escalated.

If I was to summaries it in an equation, cost of Geneva – Zurich (LX 2807) + Zurich – Hong Kong (LX 138) is less than cost of opting for just Zurich – Hong Kong (LX 138). Equation for my saving mentioned above, is, cost of direct flights between Hong Kong – Zurich = CHF 455 + my current flight (Hong Kong to Geneva via Frankfurt and Geneva to Hong Kong via Zurich).

On a funny note, flights to my home (Mumbai) from Hong Kong costs only ~12% less than flights to Swiss from Hong Kong where as flying distance between Hong Kong – Mumbai is less than half of flying distance between Hong Kong – Swiss.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2019 at 15:35:13 #904349

Ah ok I see, so the flight package you bought includes the layover in Zurich! Now it makes sense!

What a pain these airlines but glad you could get the savings!

Maria.

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    5 March 2019 at 7:35:06 #904350

To update, I have applied for VISA.

In meantime, about SIM to use for data, I have read about Salt prepay costing CHF 10 and giving out CHF 20 as balance which could be used as CHF 2/ day for UL 4G data. However, it seems this promotion is no longer valid/running as per their website. Hence, thinking of backup option. Is Lycamobile good ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2019 at 9:56:12 #904351

Hello JarvisHK,

Happy to hear your plans are taking shape and the VISA is applied for..hurray!

Regarding SIM cards in Switzerland this link will be helpful for you:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

I do see the Salt prepay available online from here, but this can depend on ones location.

You should also have various options available once you arrive to Switzerland, as a last option.

Happy planning, I hope you’re looking forward to your stay.

Best,
    Steph

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    11 March 2019 at 7:10:39 #904352

VISA is approved and done!

Now it’s time to buy STP and to prepare schedule of each day in little more details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2019 at 7:48:08 #904353

Yeah, happy to hear everything is moving along!

Use this link to support your purchase of the Swiss Travel Pass:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

Remember we’re here should you have any further questions or require input.

Best,
    Steph

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    13 March 2019 at 11:34:50 #904354

On 17/4, I am planning to arrive Gornergrat by about 11AM. Spend about 1.5 hours at top and come back to Zermatt by 1.30PM. Finally leave from Zermatt by 5.30PM. In 4 hours available, can I cover Sunnegga and Zermatt village visit (walk of about 1.5 hours) ? Or it will be too much on plate ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2019 at 0:50:56 #904355

Hi Jarvis

If I understood correctly your question is if you can cover Sunnegga and the Zermatt village visit both between 1.30pm and 5.30pm (4 hours), so these walks:

It seems doable, but very tight as they would both be 3 hours 30minutes all in all and it counts on you finding your way without any problems plus walking back to the train station with luggage on time. It would probably be best to choose only one activity 🙂

Maria.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt itinerary for April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.