Pass and more tips for 6 days Mürren in October

• Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 October 2022 at 23:06:28 #828505

Hi,

On the spur of the moment I bought return tickets to Zurich. Outbound 19 Oct 2022, inbound 25 October 2022 (6 nights).

Would it be excessive if we base ourselves the whole time in Murren? We’re outdoorsy and would prefer a hiking every single day if possible 🙂

Given the plan above, would it make sense to buy tickets point-to-point, maybe with One Day Saver Pass on first and last day, rather than invest in a Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card (valid for 6 days)?

Any views, insider tips, and recommendations welcome. Many thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2022 at 23:55:13 #947741

Check out the Wandern in der Schweiz section of Schweizmobil before commiting yourself to a whole 6 days in Murren. Murren is on a ledge, so the hiking (especially in Autumn) is somewhat limited, meaning that you may wish to take trips elsewhere requiring purchase of some sort of ticket. Personally I think with your plan I would buy a Swiss Half Fare Card and use it for point to point tickets ‘as and when’ you need to travel or decide to do so.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2022 at 9:43:16 #947742

Hi Hafizismail and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

There are a few maintenance work in the Jungfrau region (http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion) during October:

• Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg (Wengernalpbahn): 24.10.22 – 06.11.22
    • Lauterbrunnen – Mürren: 10.10.22 – 28.10.22
    • Schynige Platte Railway is only open in summer ( 26.05.22 – 23.10.22)
    • Grindelwald – First: 26.05.22 – 23.10.22
    • Grindelwald – Mannlichen: 24.10.22 – 09.12.22

Please check these ‘how to get there’ pages to learn more:

You can still hike in the region, just make sure to check the operating information in advance. Here you can find recommended hiking routes (scroll down to see the hiking section): http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities.

Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price) or the Swiss Travel Pass http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price) both would be good for your holiday. You can check the validity area of these passes here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity and http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

Ildiko

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 October 2022 at 10:20:59 #947743

Thank you so much 1960man and Ildiko.

1960man: Yes, I’m leaning towards Half Fare Card myself, thank you.

Ildiko: With respect to the maintenance work you mentioned, specifically Lauterbrunnen to Murren 10/10 to 28/10 (which is precisely our planned dates to travel), does this mean Murren is inaccessible? Or the only way is then from Stechelberg via change in Gimmelwald.

The reason why we’re keen on Murren is because of a thread in Rick Steve’s forum and elsewhere – everyone rave about the beauty of the place. We might base ourselves elsewhere if the recommendations on hiking routes above suggest it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2022 at 12:18:52 #947744

Hi Hafizismail,

you can still reach Mürren, from Stechelberg. this means that you’ll have only 1 way to reach Mürren, but it should be enough, I think 🙂

Yes, Mürren and Wengen and also Grindelwald are popular places in the Jungfrau region. You can find hotel recommendations here:

A Swiss Half Fare Card would be useful, you can check the prices here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price

Ildiko

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    14 October 2022 at 7:26:39 #947745

Helllo everyone and thank you for useful info so far

two part questions please:

1) I understand that there are two options to get to Interlaken Ost from Zurich Flughafen. The route via Bern is faster but a lot less scenic than via Luzern/Lucerne. I’d imagine that we would be hungry by then – having had a super early start from London (4am!) – so where would you recommend to make a stop to have brunch/lunch, Bern, Luzern, or at Interlaken Ost itself? Or maybe even further up at Lauterbrunnen?

2) If, say, after lunch in Luzern and we want to make it even more scenic – and longer – would you recommend taking the boat at Brienz to get to Interlaken Ost? Would the single ticket Zurich Flughafen to Interlaken Ost be valid for the boat?

Many thanks in advance

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    14 October 2022 at 7:35:23 #947746

… and related to part 2) above, if via Bern, would you recommend taking the boat at Thun to get to Interlaken Ost?

Apologies in advance if I’m making this unnecessarily complicated!

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    14 October 2022 at 8:46:56 #947747

Lucerne has many lunch options in Old Town, a very short walk across the street & river from the train station, with numerous establishments right on the river. I’ve only changed trains in Bern and Interlaken Ost, so no help on lunch spots there. You are right, the train ride from Zurich to interlaken Ost via Lucerne and Brienz is much more scenic than through Bern & Thun. We took the boat from Thun to Interlaken West this past week, then a quick train to Ost after that. If interlaken Ost is your destination, just take the train, it is much faster after a long day of travel.

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    14 October 2022 at 9:12:12 #947748

Thank you CabinJon

Yes, I suppose we could leave the scenic boat rides for later in the trip if still keen, or even on the leg back from Murren… after all flight back out of Zurich on last day is rather late, at 22:30.

And, um, are the boat rides in either lake – Brienzersee or Thunersee – scenic this time of the year? I get the impression that Brienzersee gets better reviews but these are from rides in summer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2022 at 9:26:53 #947749

) If, say, after lunch in Luzern and we want to make it even more scenic – and longer – would you recommend taking the boat at Brienz to get to Interlaken Ost? Would the single ticket Zurich Flughafen to Interlaken Ost be valid for the boat?

If you get a half fare card and you want to make your journey on day of arrival scenic / part of the trip, you should be thinking of getting a Saver day pass, not ‘single ticket’ for the day you arrive in Zurich. However, doing the scenic route may be a waste of time – if you start at 4am you might fall asleep on all the scenic routes…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2022 at 9:35:34 #947750

I understand that there are two options to get to Interlaken Ost from Zurich Flughafen. The route via Bern is faster but a lot less scenic than via Luzern. I’d imagine that we would be hungry by then – having had a super early start from London (4am!) – so where would you recommend to make a stop to have brunch/lunch, Bern, Luzern, or at Interlaken Ost itself? Or maybe even further up at Lauterbrunnen?

Starting at 4am I suspect you will feel like ‘lunch’; on arrival at Zurich, let alone in Bern or Luzern!

nevertheless:

The immediate surroundings of Bern station are not all that exciting for lunch (all underground and/or busy)

In Luzern you can probably find something on the lakeside, although last time I was there I didn’t find much with a decent lake view

If you do go via Luzern, for a lunch stop I recommend the village of Lungern which is on the Zentralbahn line from Luzern to Interlaken, especially if the Restaurant by the station is open : goo.gl/maps/WqaA7Uapw9RZCvMh8

Note that the street view picture here was taken in November so you can get a good idea of what the autumn view looks like (still with some golden trees…)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungern

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2022 at 9:45:09 #947751

Yes, I suppose we could leave the scenic boat rides for later in the trip if still keen,

Boat rides are much more relaxing without luggage so best done on holiday days not travel days

And, um, are the boat rides in either lake – Brienzersee or Thunersee – scenic this time of the year? I get the impression that Brienzersee gets better reviews but these are from rides in summer.

The reason good reviews are from summer is that is when most people visit.

Unless the cloudbase is low (weather that can happen any day of the year including mid summer) , alpine lakes will obviously be just as ‘scenic’ the whole year round – they don’t go anywhere after all!

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    14 October 2022 at 10:17:56 #947752

1960man those are super useful facts and insights! yes, boat rides without luggage would be far more pleasant … didn’t think of that! 😀

and you’re right. might be too exhausted to enjoy the vistas, however charming, on travel days (which then makes trip via Bern having a slight edge in that respect!)

Never thought making a stop at one of the towns in between. If via Luzern, I assume the restaurant by the Lungern station is Restaurant Bahnofli?

Anna
    6351 posts
    14 October 2022 at 13:16:16 #947753

Hi Hafizismail,

There are several restaurants near the Lungern train station. Lungern is a small village and if you do decide to make a pit stop here, I recommend doing a quick walkabout to explore the area. There is an Information Centre in the town centre not far from the train station.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2022 at 21:15:45 #947754

I would check the weather first but it’s probably still worth going via Luzern – even if you are only awake (!) for the Luzern – Interlaken Ost bit.

Lungern really is nice, and you could probably ‘doze’ between Zurich and Luzern on the main line train.

Yes, the Bahnhofli is right by the station (good for luggage ) but the rest of the village is worth a visit.

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    15 October 2022 at 9:15:04 #947755

Thank you Anna & 1960man

Seems like Lungern it is (Zurich to Interlaken via Luzern). That bit about luggage hold at Banhofli is actually useful, though we travel light as always.

Murren has its own Coop but apparently it’s rather basic. Should we load up on groceries before taking the cable car up via Stechelberg? If yes, where along the route?

Thank you

Anna
    6351 posts
    15 October 2022 at 12:57:50 #947756

Hi Hafizismail,

There is a supermarket across the street from the Lauterbrunnen station. It’s where you take the bus to Stechelberg, so you can probably get your groceries there. Elsewhere, there are bigger supermarkets in Interlaken which offer more choices.

You can find more practical travel tips and info here: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/savemoney

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    19 October 2022 at 1:58:34 #947757

Hi Hafizismail,

I simply want to share with you that it was by reading Rick Steves in 2018 that we decided to go to Mürren! Oh my gosh – I found heaven on earth!! We were back in 2019 as well as 2022, both time to hike for approximately 10 days. I would say that staying in Mürren is an excellent ‘home base’ for daily hikes. One beautiful hike would be up to the Rotstock Hut. Another hike could be up the Obersteinberg Berghotel. The views are breathtaking, however, it would be about a 6 hr hike from Mürren. A lovely easy walk is along the North face trail, from Mürren to Grutschalp. There are endless other choices.

Wishing you an excellent trip!

Monica

Hafizismail
    Participant
    8 posts
    27 October 2022 at 17:42:11 #947758

I would like to say thank you to everyone for the answers, tips, and recommendations.

We have had an amazing 6 days in Murren – even in spite of a whole day spent in rain and wind – and am pretty sure we’d be back.

Danke schoen !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2022 at 20:12:40 #947759

Hi Hafizismail,

I am so glad you enjoyed your holiday in the Jungfrau region!

What did you do during the rain? Did you visit other towns or museums?

Please feel free to share your travel experiences in the trip report part of the forum (http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports), we would be happy to read it! 🙂

Take care.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Pass and more tips for 6 days Mürren in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.