Jungfrau region skydiving trip January, bad idea?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2018 at 16:20:21 #819208

Hi all, I’m a solo traveller.

I’ve been doing a lot of research today as I’d like to start the year 2019 with a bang and go skydiving (http://www.skydiveinterlaken. ch/index.php/en/prices -en) in Jungfrau.

I’m currently trying to weigh up whether this is a bad idea though as it is winter time. I’ve seen mixed opinions regarding the weather in January, but I love hiking so snowshoe hiking is something I’m looking at doing. In short, my little trip would be made up of my skydive, hiking and some sightseeing.

1) How does my trip sound for the time of year?

2) I’m having difficulty deciding where to stay, I would much rather stay in a hostel (it’s cheap) so Interlaken seems like the best choice but I’ve heard that Interlaken itself is not very interesting.

Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren seem to be the “best” places but I can’t find many hostels here.

Lauterbrunnen sounds like a good compromise, but again I’ve heard mixed things about it in the winter due to it’s tucked away location….so some thoughts on this would be helpful.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 7:25:16 #900513

Hi Zack and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are hostels in Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen that we recommend. Any of those towns are nice I think at any time of year. Lauterbrunnen can get a little dark I suppose in the winter as it is in the valley.
    You’ll find them listed on our hotel suggestion pages below:

Interlaken isn’t as picturesque as the other, smaller Swiss villages but it offers great train connections around the region and country if that is important.

You’ll have the opportunity to do some winter hiking and or snowshoeing certainly. Some trails are closed in the winter but some are groomed for winter hikes – best to check when you are there with the tourist information office to see what is open.

I can’t say about winter sky diving being a good or bad idea – must be ok if they are open. 🙂

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region skydiving trip January, bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.