Swiss Travel Pass Venice to Luzern for 3 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2017 at 8:17:08 #812788

Hi there

My husband and myself will be travelling from Venice to Sempach Station on 12 Sep 2017. We intend to take the 6.20 or 7.20am train leaving Venice. Will the 3 or 4 days Swiss Travel Pass include this leg of travel for free.

We will like to visit the below, however, might not end up with all the mountain visits since it relies on that day’s weather. Based on your experience, if all days have clear weather, which mountain visit should be our priority.

– Mt Titlus

– Mt Pilatus

– Mt Rigi

– Lucerne city or old town

Our flight from Zurich back home is on 16 Sep 2017. However, on 15 Sep 2017, we will need to leave Sempach Station for Zurich Airport (Raddisson Blu Zurich Hotel). At the moment, we have not plan the places to visit on 15 Sep 2017. Mostly we will go to the Zurich city.

Can I check if we buy the 3 days Swiss Travel Pass and start using it at 6.20am on 12 Sep 2017, does it mean that the expiry will be on 15 Sep 2017 at 6.20am? If so, if I board the train or other mode of transport before 6.20am but the arrival time is after the expiry, what will happen?

Please advise which type of Pass makes more financial sense for us. Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Jasmine

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2017 at 8:23:31 #867631

Hi Jasmine and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass is only valid within Switzerland. So you will need to buy a ticket from Venice to the Swiss border town of Chiasso – the Swiss Travel Pass will cover the rest of your trip.

I think most members tend to prefer Mt. Pilatus – it is a great experience just going up and down the mountain!

A 3 day Swiss Travel Pass would be valid for 3 days (Sep. 12, 13 and 14) only. If you are going straight to Luzern and staying there without traveling elsewhere (except a nearby mountain) I might recommend the Swiss Half Fare Card instead – it gets you 50% off all trips in Switzerland.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 10:19:03 #867632

Thanks Lucas.

Can I check with the half fare card, I should proceed to book all the transportation to Mt Pilatus or only purchase the ticket at every change of transportation?

With the Swiss Travel Pass, do I need to buy tickets, or I can just board as and when needed?

Thanks and looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Jasmine

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 12:29:15 #867633

Hi Jasmine,

If you buy the Swiss Half Fare Card you would by a ticket from wherever you are to wherever you are going – you don’t need to buy multiple tickets along the route, the calculation will be done automatically.

If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass you just board any train whenever you want (no extra ticket needed 90% of the time). It doesn’t cover every route in the country though so some routes will require you to buy a ticket.

For example to Mt. Titlis you need to buy a ticket from Engelberg to the top of Mt. Titlis – at 50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass). The journey to Engelberg would be free, and you can buy the ticket at Engelberg rail station. You may be able to buy the ticket at Luzern rail office as well (for just Engelberg to Mt. Titlis).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 11:37:46 #867634

Hi Lucas

As i will arrive Luzern only on 12 Sep around 2pm. I will most likely only tour around Luzern city and old town which I understand is walkable from Luzern station. I bought a ticket directly from Venice to Luzern.

On 13 or 14 Sep depending on weather, I will go to Mt Pilatus and/or Mt Rigi. Priority will be Mt Pilatus. Think will skip Mt Titlus.

On 15 Sep morning, I will take a train from Luzern to Zurich Airport to check into the hotel and then visit the Zurich city.

Based on the above, should i get Half Fare pass or the Swiss travel pass.

Does the Swiss travel pass allow me to travel at no other cost if say I visit Basel?

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 14:32:09 #867635

Hi Jasmine,

I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass. It allows free transport to Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi as well as to Basel, Zurich and many other towns and mountains in Switzerland – see here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Venice to Luzern for 3 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.