Swiss Travel Pass benefit if traveling by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 18:58:42 #811195

Hello all,

I am planning to travel to swiss along with my wife, daughter 4 years by then and my parents (65+ years). Planned date is 11th sept to 16th sept by car from Stuttgart. I want to go to Jungfraujoch via lake Constanz, oberer gletscher, Murren, lake Brienz. Want to experience glacier express. Visit Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis, Rhine water falls and back to Stuttgart.

I plan to book hotel room in Lauterbrunnen and in Lucerne. Is this advice able looking at my place to visit.

Need your suggestion whether taking swiss travel pass is benificial for by travel plan.

Which places travel by Glacier express is better in my plan.

Sorry for such a big mail. I am worried as I am going with 2 elders and a kid. Please help so I don’t spend much and see swiss comfortably.

Thanks and regards,

Kiran.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 6:38:01 #860534

Hi Kiran and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is simpler and easier to travel around Switzerland by train. However, if you must travel by car I would recommend buying a Swiss Half Fare Card for the adults (under 5 travels free) so that you can get discounts on the trains and other excursions you will need to take to visit some attractions. This includes the Jungfraujoch, Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis.

Lauterbrunnen and Luzern (local German spelling) are indeed good towns to stay in to visit the attractions you mentioned.

The Glacier Express train runs between Chur and Zermatt. You could train from Luzern to Chur and take the Glacier Express and then return to Luzern from Zermatt by standard train in one fairly long day.

I hope this helps with your planning, let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 19:27:34 #860535

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the advise. We decided to go by train. Can you please help us to finalise an itinerary. We are interested to go to places as described above. Please also suggest us a good pass – swiss travel pass or europass.

4-5 days are comfortable for our travel.

Please advice.

Thanks and regards, Kiran

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 5:54:50 #860536

Hi Kiran,

We don’t make itinerary’s here. If you want help building a package or itinerary have a look at our travel planning page here.

If you want to put a rough itinerary together and post it here we can let you know how it looks and suggest changes as needed.

As a start I would visit the RheinFall on your way to Luzern from Stuttgart and then end that day in Luzern (local German spelling). Then from Luzern you can visit Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus (over 1 or 2 days) then move on to a stay in Lauterbrunnen for trips to Jungfraujoch, Murren and Lake Brienz.

It is a bit out of the way to do the Glacier Express train (Chur to Zermatt). You go to Chur from Luzern and take the Glacier Express as far as Andermatt or Brig and then another regular train to Lauterbrunnen or go all the way to Zermatt but that will make for a very long day.

Train schedules can be found here.
    I think you would want a Swiss Travel Pass which will cover almost all trips while you are in Switzerland.
    A reservation for the Glacier Express is mandatory and not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Also you will still need to buy a ticket from Wengen to Jungfraujoch but you do get 25% off with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass benefit if traveling by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.