Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Train from Lausanne to Wengen, passes or tickets?

Train from Lausanne to Wengen, passes or tickets?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
SamLauter
SamLauter
3 posts
Mar 8, 2020 - 1:17 AM

Hi, we are traveling in May and are going from Lausanne to Wengen. We will be in Wengen for three full days, and then taking the train from Wengen to Zurich. Trying to figure out if it’s better to get a pass or individual tickets. There are four of us. From Lausanne we expect to take the train to Montreaux, the Golden Pass to Interlaken, then Lauterbrunnen and the Wengen (yes, it’s a long day). Then from Wengen for three days we might take trains to other areas for the day. When we leave Wengen, we’ll take the train to Lauterbrunnen, then Interlaken then Zurich. Anyone with ideas on how best to do this? Is there a better option than the stops I’ve laid out? Thanks! Sam

Daihugh
Daihugh
5 posts
Mar 8, 2020 - 4:32 PM

I posted a similar message a few days and got really good responses. You can find it under "Train ride options from Lausanne to Kandersteg" tread. We will buy the 4-day STP as we'll spend the day arriving at Lausanne (from Paris) with Olympic Museum and Lake Geneva cruise, and heading back to Zurich via Glacier Express. Good luck!

www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/train-ride-options-from-lausanne-to-kandersteg

Suzanne
Suzanne
344 posts
top member
Mar 8, 2020 - 4:33 PM

Hello SamLauter,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I will attach a link with a excel spreadsheet so you can make the calculations to see which is better for you:

Here are links with the different Swiss rail passes and train tickets:

The Swiss Half Fare Card would be good for you to figure in the calculation comparison as well:

I have attached the links to various places you will visit so you can get some inspiration:

Lausanne: www.myswissalps.com/lausanne

Wengen:www.myswissalps.com/wengen

Zurich: www.myswissalps.com/zurich

Montreux: www.myswissalps.com/montreux

Interlaken: www.myswissalps.com/interlaken

Lauterbrunnen: www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen

Golden Pass: www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass If you want to buy the tickets at your convenience, I have attached the link to purchase the Golden Pass:

I think it depends on what you want to do in Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken and Zurich. It's good to get familiar with the SBB time table to organize your time and the activities you want to do.

Good luck!

Suzanne

SamLauter
SamLauter
3 posts
Mar 8, 2020 - 9:38 PM in reply to Daihugh

Thank you! Enjoy your trip.

SamLauter
SamLauter
3 posts
Mar 9, 2020 - 10:55 PM in reply to Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Is the Golden Pass part of a Swiss pass or is that a separate purchase? Can't figure it out from the website. Really don't need any other information other than figuring out the trains - my wife grew up in Switzerland and we know the sights well.

Thanks,

Sam

1960man
1960man
2694 posts
top member
Mar 9, 2020 - 11:33 PM in reply to SamLauter

Don't get too hung up on the 'GoldenPass' brand. The railway Montreux - Zweisimmen railway is the Montreux Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway and like the majority of 'national core Swiss transport network' railways in Switzerland travel on the MOB is free (it is only any (optional) reservations) that cost extra). Zweisimmen - Interlaken is part of the BLS railway (also a 'core' part of the national Swiss transport network)

Last modified on Mar 9, 2020 - 11:35 PM by 1960man
Annika
Annika
6268 posts
expert &
Mar 10, 2020 - 4:34 PM in reply to SamLauter

Hi Sam! The Golden Pass is the name for a scenic train route: www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass. The SwissPass is a rail product for Swiss residents. You're probably referring to the Swiss Travel Pass instead: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass. This rail pass for tourists allows free and discounted traveling, as well as free entrance to many museums. The Swiss Travel Pass also grants free traveling on the Golden Pass route, except for seat reservations: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity, www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets.

This section explains a lot about train traveling: www.myswissalps.com/train/practical. We explain how to use the advanced SBB timetable at www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

Last modified on Mar 10, 2020 - 4:34 PM by Annika

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020