Zermatt to Interlaken by car and train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2019 at 16:03:02 #823990

Folks, I need help to know the route between Zermatt and Interlaken.

I will be traveling by car, I will leave the city of Tasch. Is it complicated to pass through the train tunnel? How much does this part cost? Is there a queue at 4 pm on a Friday to put the car on the train? How long will it take to get to Interlaken? What is the best route between Zermatt and Interlaken by car?

Thank you for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 September 2019 at 21:52:13 #922697

Hi Katy bart, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

< What is the best route between Zermatt and Interlaken by car? >

For a trip in the Alps, it depends on when you travel. Road passes are closed in the winter, and then you either load the car in Goppenstein and cross the Lötschberg rail tunnel (queues depend also on when you travel, on Friday 4pm you may have to wait a bit), or you turn around the Bernese Alps range using highway 9 to Vevey, 12 to Bern, and 6 to Interlaken.

The shortest alpine road is through Brig, Grimsel Pass, Meiringen. If the Grimsel is open, that is.

There is no city called Tash in Switzerland.

Good luck!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2019 at 21:59:01 #922698

I will travel in october.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2019 at 0:03:31 #922699

Driving from ‘Zermatt’ means driving from the car park at Täsch (which is a small village not a city).

The route is Täsch – Visp – Steg – Goppenstein

Car carrying train (BLS Autoverlad) Goppenstein – Kandersteg

Kandersteg – Spiez – Interlaken

BLS Autoverlad fare is CHF29.50

Trains run every 30 minutes in October; extra trains are run between 13.21 and 19.21 if there is demand – see website for information

http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/autoverlad

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 September 2019 at 14:01:13 #922700

Hi Katy bart,

What 1960man mentioned is correct, from Tasch you drive to Goppenstein.

I have done this before with the car. When you reach Goppenstein, just follow the sign for car train. There’s a drive-through machine to buy your ticket or you can buy it online.

Early arrival recommended. If possible, travel during the week and avoid weekends and public holidays.

Depending on road traffic and waiting time, the entire trip Tasch – Interlaken might take you about 3.5 hours. The train ride itself from Goppenstein to Kandersteg (through the Lotschberg Tunnel) only takes about 15 minutes and you must not leave your car.

Here’s more information about car trains in Switzerland
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/cartrains

Regards,
    Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 September 2019 at 0:11:21 #922701

Hi Anna- How about correct spelling from a moderator? You should set an example.

Täsch…not Tasch.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 September 2019 at 0:21:24 #922702

Hi Katy-

Perhaps you understand now why posters are requested to give their travel dates. It saves you time on incomplete or imprecise answers.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/please-read-these-faqs-before-you-post-1

especially –

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

<<“Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;”>>

<>”will be traveling by car, I will leave the city of Tasch. Is it

complicated to pass through the train tunnel? How much does this part

cost? Is there a queue at 4 pm on a Friday to put the car on the train?

How long will it take to get to Interlaken? What is the best route

between Zermatt and Interlaken by car?”>>

In October you can drive any of the routes discussed or take the car-train. The car-train is extremely simple. You line up to get on it. Once it is “open” you drive on…ride through the tunnel.. When it stops on the other side of the Alps, drive off the train.

I’d use the car train. Faster and shorter, even on Friday afternoon.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/train-travel-from-spiez-to-visp

http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/autoverlad/kanders teg-goppenstein/tickets-kandersteg-goppenstein

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 September 2019 at 6:22:47 #922703

Hi Slowpoke,

Please be nice, as requested in the forum rules, to moderators as well. We’re all learning here, and so is Anna. None of us, both moderators as well as other visitors, types completely free of spelling mistakes :-).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 September 2019 at 7:23:49 #922704

<<“None of us, both moderators as well as other visitors, types completely free of spelling mistakes :-).”>>

Certainly. I make many spelling mistakes. ;-( Too many.

And, since my fingers have a their own bad habits, they will never stop making spelling mistakes. The Spill Chucker 0ften helps me fix them. Sometimes, it fails.

However, when it comes to grammar mistakes, I like to be corrected, and the spelling checker is less likely to catch those. I learn that way.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Interlaken by car and train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.