Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 14:19:35 #809214

Hi Arno,

My itinerary so far :-

Day 1 – Train from Munich to Interlaken

Day 2 – rest and relax around Interlaken city

Day 3 – Paragliding or something else

Day 4 – Jungfraujoch (Swiss Travel Pass Flex)

Day 5 – Cruise at Lake Brienz (Swiss Travel Pass Flex)

Day 6 – Train from Interlaken to Zurich. Explore the city. (Swiss Travel Pass Flex)

Day 7 – Viadukt, Frau Gerolds etc. (Swiss Travel Pass Flex)

I planned to get the 4 days Swiss Travel Pass Flex as I am not sure when is the best day to go up to Jungfraujoch. If Day 2 is good, we will go ahead first so we won’t waste the great opportunity. As for Day 1, I will get a separate ticket on its own just for that trip without using the swiss travel pass flex.

1) Is this the best choice of pass for me?

2) Could u recommend where else to go when Im in Interlaken?

3) Other than Lake Brienz, where else could we go for another half of the day?

Thank you so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    16 May 2016 at 16:01:25 #852098

Hi Annzo27,

1) I think either an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card might be better. In both cases you can also use them on day 1, 2 and 3, which is more convenient I think. Note that there’s not much to do/see in Interlaken itself, so you may opt for a short boat trip on day 2, for example. That’s free with a Swiss Travel Pass as well. Be sure to do the math!

2/3) Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken/activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 1:41:51 #852099

I think you may consider the Jungfrau Pass as well which covered most of the train / cable cars except from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraucoch which you need to pay 50%

doc.myswissalps.com/do cs/default-source/rail-network-maps/jungfrautravelpas s.pdf?sfvrsn=10

You may consider;

Murren: there is a cable car opposite of Lauterbrunnen (change to train at the other end) to Murren, car free town that you can take a short walk around.

Grinderwald – First

Harder Kulm

You may refer to the JungfrauPass map validity and search what you want to do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 3:30:28 #852100

Thanx a lot for your reply Annika & superman888,

Im sorry but I still have a few more questions:

1) If I were to use the Swiss Travel Pass for Day 1, which route should I purchase the separate ticket from Munich, should it be Munchen to Basel or Munchen to Schaffhausen?

2) If I were to board the cruise from Interlaken West, alight at Spiez for lunch, board the cruise again to Lake Thun, alight and take the train back to Interlaken West :- all these are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass right?

3) If I were to board the cruise from Interlaken Ost to Lake Brienz and take a train back to Interlaken Ost, am I able to board the panoramic train? Is this covered by the Swiss Travel Pass as well?

4) So the Cogwheel steam railway does not function at all in late December?

5) If I were to do the cable car opposite Lauterbrunnen after visiting Jungfaurcoch, which route should I take from the start of my day up to Jungfaurcoch and down to Murren before I take the cable car.

Thank you so much in advance!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 7:21:07 #852101

Hi Annzo27,

1) Both can apply, and there are even more options. You’d better first find your preferred connection. Once you know your route, the map shows which portion is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

2) 3) Yes, please see the map I referred to under 1).

4) I am not sure which train you mean. There is one to the Brienzer Rothorn. Last year I think they did open for a few days around Christmas because there was not much snow, but normally they’re closed all winter.

5) There are two cable cars in the valley. I guess the route as described on the Schilthorn page is what you’re looking for. Whether you go to Jungfraujoch first or second depends on the weather forecast of the day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 15:08:46 #852102

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your reply. I am still doing my math.

1) If I buy a standard ticket for boat cruise to Lake Thun. Can I alight at Spiez and board another cruise after my lunch with the same ticket?

2) Zurich Card sells in 24 hours and 72 hours. Example I buy 24 hours card, I start using it today at 11am, will it end tomorrow at 11am or ends today at midnight?

Thank you so much!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 16:52:22 #852103

Hi Annzo27,

1) If you need a ticket at all (not needed for the Swiss Travel Pass as it’s all inclusive), then yes, you can break the trip as long as you complete it the same day.

2) Yes, it will end the next day at 11:00 AM.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2016 at 15:29:20 #852104

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for the answers.

I have decided to purchase the 8 days travel pass. So for the first day, From Munich to Interlaken, I will need to purchase a separate ticket from Munich to any border, which location should I head to. Please advice.

Thank you so much!

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 June 2016 at 16:28:23 #852105

Hi Annzo27,

The border station depends on your preferred route. You can find the options in the timetable. A good option is the 7:03 AM direct EuroCity train from Munich to Zurich, then proceed to Interlaken from there. In this case the border station is St. Margrethen. So you would need a ticket Munich – St. Margrethen.

Please see here for where to obtain the ticket and the pass:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2016 at 0:40:58 #852106

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much!

I read that we have to alight at St Margrethen to get our pass validated. After which, we will board the same train or a different train?

If my train is at 7:03AM, what time should I be at Munich train station?

Thank you in advance!

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 June 2016 at 5:47:54 #852107

Hi Annzo27,

Pass validation is mostly a thing of the past. Nowadays you receive ready to use passes or you can fill out the blank fields yourself. But even if your pass would still require validation you can do so on the train. No need to get off the train and wait for the next one.

In your case you can simply print your pass at home and you’ll be ready to travel. You can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. If you order well in advance they hold on to the order until 2 weeks before your trip, but if you need the passes earlier than that, you can request that in the Notes field, and they’ll take of it.

• The thread ‘Whats best travel pass for week Interlaken, Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.