2-Day trip in and around Lucerne, which pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 19:59:33 #807848

Hi,

I will be travelling with my family (myself, wife and 2 kids – aged 2,5) to Basel. Would be reaching Basel Friday late night and will be returning from Basel on Sunday evening. I would like to go to Lucerne and Mt Titlis. Will it better for me to buy Swiss rail pass or Tell Pass. I think if I need get a Tell pass, then I need buy Basel to Lucerne train tickets separately. Also what are some interesting things to do and places to visit with kids in and around Lucerne. Thanks in advance.

Arvin.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    31 August 2015 at 16:44:34 #845816

Hi Arvin!

A 2 day Tell Pass would probably fit your needs, especially if you plan to use public transportation in the Lucerne area extensively during those two days. You’d indeed need regular tickets Basel-Lucerne and back for the adults. I’m not sure when you’ll be traveling, but note that the Tell Pass is available up to October 31.

I suggest you compare this option with the Swiss Half Fare Card, that provides a 50% discount on all trips. So this will also include the trips Basel-Lucerne and Lucerne-Basel.

In both cases, your children will travel along for free as long as they’re not older than 5 during your stay. Further information can be found here.

Day trip suggestions for the Lucerne region are listed at the Lake Lucerne activities page. I’m not sure if your children are fond of traveling. If not, I’d try to avoid long transfers. Scenic trips closer to Lucerne than the Titlis are Pilatus and Rigi. Both can be combined with a boat trip over the lake. If weather isn’t great, definitely consider the Swiss museum of Transport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2015 at 18:50:34 #845817

Thank you Annika.

• The thread ‘2-Day trip in and around Lucerne, which pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.