Itinerary advice 10 days Switzerland in December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2017 at 4:47:03 #810682

Hi. We are planning a trip in Dec and I would like to get advice please to know if the itinerary makes sense, if the order is right and if I am missing things or should skip things. We will have a car on the trip and will use trains as well but not sure if i am missing out on epic scenery by not doing long day trips say from zermatt to St moritz.

1.Fussen (Germany) to Lucerne: city sightseeing

2.Lucerne: Mt Titlis (Tell pass)

3.Lucerne: Mt Pilatus and Mt Rigi (Tell pass)

4.Lucerne: sightseeing/day trip to Basel

5.Lucerne to Zermatt: Matterhorn/Gornergrat

6.Zermatt to Interlaken: Jungfraujoch or region

7.Interlaken to Chexbres: Mairon Cailler Chocolatier

8.Chexbres: sightseeing/day trip to Geneva/ Mt Blanc

9.Chexbrex to Zurich via Bern: sightseeing Bern and Zurich

10. Zurich to Friedrichshafen (Germany)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 January 2017 at 13:13:15 #858507

Hi Teeoxo,

A car isn’t convenient for all transfers in Switzerland, but I think this has already been discussed in your previous topic. Note that Zermatt is car-free and that you’ll have to park your car in Täsch. For those combining car rides with public transportation, the Swiss Half Fare Card is often an excellent solution. If you use this, I think an additional Tell Pass will be redundant, but you’d have to calculate to make sure. Please find tips about this process at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

As for your itinerary: Basel is certainly nice if you’re interested in city sightseeing and some culture. If scenery is your main interest, I suggest you rather spend this day in the Lucerne region, e.g. making a boat trip or visiting Rigi. In terms of traveling distances it would be slightly easier to visit Interlaken right after your stay in Lucerne, then continuing to Zermatt and ending up in Chexbres.

It won’t be doable to combine Geneva and Chamonix/Mont Blanc in one day. Both require some traveling time from Chexbres (both by public transportation as well as by car) and both take a couple of hours to decently explore. I think you’ll have to choose. Alternatively you can explore the closer surroundings of Chexbres, e.g. by visiting Montreux and traveling up to Rochers-de-Naye.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2017 at 7:21:03 #858508

Thank you for the feedback. I want to buy the half fair travel pass and the tell pass. Does the tell pass give me free access to titlis, pilatus and rigi which makes it worthwhile. The half fair i want to use for matterhorn and jungfraujoch which seems worth it too seeing that jungfraujoch is so expensive.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 January 2017 at 11:28:32 #858509

Hi Teeoxo,

The Tell Pass validity is explained in detail at myswissalps.com/tellpa ss/validity. You can both download the map as well as study the attractions listed below. As you’ll see all three mountains you’ve mentioned are fully covered. You can buy it through one of the resellers listed at myswissalps.com/tellpa ss/price.

Resellers for the Swiss Half Fare Card are listed at myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price.

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice 10 days Switzerland in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.