Lucerne & Interlaken 5 day trip: What can we see

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 3:35:36 #815241

Hi Everyone

Please help me by reviewing my following plan. I am traveling along with my wife & kid and planned to spend 5 night stay in switzerland and 1 night in Rome. Days are planned as follows. Let me know is that planned properly , or any changes are welcome. I purchased the 3 country select Eurail pass for France-Swtizerland-Italy.

17- 23 june_stay at Pris: I Will be attending work related conference in paris and of course will go around paris for these days.

23-June: @ 6.40 AM , Train from Paris to Lucerne and reach Lucerne around 12.00 Noon.

23-june_ Lucerne: From afternoon (1.30 PM to 6.30 PM) planned to visit Mount Pilatus

24-june_Full day in Lucerne: Trip to Mount Titlis, Any other excursion do you want t0 suggest !!

25-June: 8AM, Departing from Lucerne to Interlaken, by Goldenpass line

25-June_ Interlaken: @ 12 PM, Afternoon onwards ,Any other excursions do you want t0 suggest !!

26-June_Interlaken: Full day Trip to Jungfrau

27-June_Interlaken: Full day Trip to Schilthorn

28-June: @ 7.30 AM ,Take train from Interlaken to Rome and reach Rome by 2.00 PM

28-June_Rome: From afternoon on wards visit Rome colosseum and Roman forum

29-June_Rome: Visit Vatican city and sistine chapel And around 6 PM heading to airport take a flight to Singapore.

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Best Regards

Jadesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 April 2018 at 3:49:40 #881793

Hi Jadesh,

For June 24, I would suggest a boat ride on Lake Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne.

For June 25 in the PM, I would suggest going up to the nearby Harder Kulm. https://www.myswissalps.com/harderkulm

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 4:01:28 #881794

Hello Jadesh,

My suggestions:

24-June you will probably only have time to do some sight-seeing about the city after a trip to Titlis. Though I like Peterlii’s idea better. Check out the new space age shuttle ferry that runs over to Bürgenstock. The view back to Lucerne from there would be quite something of an evening I would think. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/has-anybody-tried-new-burgenstock-ferryfunicular

25-June Harder Kulm or Schynigge Platte or Lake Cruise on Brienz or Thun lakes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 10:09:49 #881795

Thanks Rockoyster

I am trying to book the seat reservations for the Goldenpassline from Lucerne to interlaken. Does this part of the route has panaromic cars for 2nd class ? (I have 2nd class Eurail pass), how can I find the panoramic cars while making seat reservations.Please see the attached file.

May I know whether I can make seat reservations on this website – http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

Or any other website is available.

Best regards

jadesh

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 10:20:26 #881796

Hi Jadesh,

Most people don’t bother making reservations on that leg of the Golden Pass Line. But if you want to you can follow the link at the top of the page your referred to.

It is really not a panoramic train although I believe the windows in 1st class are a bit bigger than the ones in 2nd class.

2nd class is fine. You are not travelling through any territory which needs a window in the ceiling like some panoramic trains offer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 9:36:37 #881797

Hello,

As a part of my travel We will be in Inerlaken on 25, 26 , 27 June, and planned to visit Jungfrau and schilthrone and other places.

1. Interlaken to Jungfrau/ Schilthorn: Could you please suggest , Should we buy the excursions packages for Jungfrau and schilthorn, well before we arrive into interlaken, OR these places can be visited on my own with train tickets (without tour package). Does this route needs to have train reservations. I do have 3 country select pass covering Switzerland.

I found the following info about , what is covered in Eurail pass, but it is not quite clear to me.

Train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch: 25% off

Train to Interlaken: free ?? (is it return journey from Jungfrau)

Thanks

Jadesh

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 April 2018 at 9:55:25 #881798

Round trip train from Interlaknen to Jungfraujoch is 25% discount with Eurail Pass.

You will find the Jungfraujoch price list at bit.ly/2J5H92u. Depending on when you are travelling Interlaken to Jungfraujoch return could be as high as CHF234.80 less 25%.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 10:53:40 #881799

Hi Jadesh,

You can find the routes that are covered by the Eurail Select Pass here – the major, city-city routes are usually covered, other trips are only partially covered (such as mountain trips to Jungfraujoch).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 12:05:40 #881800

Thank you rockoyster

The price chart you sent is very useful for me to plan. Can you send similar price with Eurail discounted price information for Mount Pilatus and Mount Titlis. By the way I went through these websites for Eurail pass related information (http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y) . It does has some info but not related to price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 12:28:48 #881801

Hi Jadesh,

The easiest option to find prices to different towns and mountains is to use the timetable and search from the town you are leaving. Almost every mountain I am aware of also lists the fares on their website (from the cable car or train departure point closest to the mountain).

The timetable is nice as you can find prices for any route. Do note that the first price point you see is for Swiss Half Fare Card holders, so double it to get the correct price before factoring in any discount the Eurail Pass gives you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 4:40:32 #881802

Hello

As per my above plan,we are arriving in Lucerne from Paris around 12 noon, after the hotel check-in, we are planning to visit Mount Titlis on the same day from 1 PM to 6.30 PM. Because we want make use of Eurail pass which is valid for that day.

Could you please let me know is this possible considering the timing from 1 pm to 6.30 pm. Is that afternoon is good time to visit mount Titlis and play in snow (my daughter). Can you send the link for train timings and price.

Regards

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:53:02 #881803

Hi Jadesh,

You can do that within that timeframe. If it is a good time, depends on the weather. You should check it upon arrival. You can plan your trip with the Swiss rail timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Kleintitlis will be your destination.

You might want to read as well how to travel up to the Titlis: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis/gettingthere.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 April 2018 at 19:14:32 #881804

Hi again,

You and your wife can play in the snow as well ! ⛄ ⛄ ⛄

Have a great trip !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 5:16:45 #881805

Hi Everyone

I bought the Eurail pass and I am planning to reserve the seat on goldenpass line from Lucerne to interlaken. I prefer to book in 2nd class, Panaromic car of this train. Could you please confirm the following website is correct and am I booking the panaromic car. Because there are several trains runs from Lucerne to interlaken and all them may not have Panaromic car. In the following webiste, it gives option of booking seats in 3 types of cars ( 1st class, 2nd classs, and Bistro.)

Please confirm the go through the following website

http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:25503339053909 26::NO:::

Please suggest me correct way for seat reservations in 2nd class panaromic car on Goldenpass line .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 5:20:16 #881806

THank you Chantal and Peterli for your inputs and suggestion. Also please help me with my recent post on making seat reservations in 2nd calss Panaromic car of goldenpass line from Lucerne to Interlaken

Regards

Jadesh

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 April 2018 at 5:44:32 #881807

Hello Jadesh,

You have the correct website.

The left two carriages in your attachment are both 2nd class. The left-most carriage has a bar/bistro in the centre of the carriage. Otherwise the seats and windows in both carriages are the same.

I would select the middle carriage. The bistro carriage layout says “consumption is compulsory”! – Also there will be less distraction from people wandering around serving food/buying drinks etc.

The Luzern to Interlaken Express is not really considered to be a major panoramic train in the same way as the Bernina or Glacier Express trains are.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 7:34:36 #881808

Hi everyone

Thank you rockoyster, for the very quick response, very helpful.

By the I read that the goldenpass line from Zweisimmen to Montreux is very exciting, !!,

Please help me with following plan 1.

1. After reaching interlaken on 25th June (from Lucerne) by goldenpass line around 10 AM, after check in into hotel, From 11.30 AM onwards, I am planning for boat ride on Thun or Brienz lakes. but instead, how about taking ride on goldenpass line until Zweisimmen or Montreux and coming back again to Interlaken before late evening ?.

2. 26th June And the next day Plan is to visit Jungfraou (whole day)-Any comments ?

3. 27th June Schilthorn (whole day) – Any comments ?

Thanks

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 7:53:47 #881809

Hi Jadesh,

1. Tough call choosing between the lake cruise on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz or the rest of the golden pass journey….personal preference but both are good options
    2. I’d leave the full day to do Jungfraujoch and maybe First. A lot to do in the Jungfrau region
    3. Similar to Jungfraujoch – a full day to do it isn’t necessary but nice to not try to plan too much on one day. See link on #2 for options in the area if you want to look at doing something else that day.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 8:23:18 #881810

Thanks Lucas

By the way, Excuse me for very basic question, this question is from daughter, during our Switzerland visit from 23 june to 27 June, do we get see and play snow activities at Mount pilatus, Titlis, Jungfraou and schilthorn region. Will be it summer time ?, all the snow will be gone ?. What would be temperature ?.

Thanks

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 16:41:30 #881811

Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are all high enough that the snow never goes away. But as far as snow activities that may be a little limited in the summer – but it is there. 🙂

Temperature can range from 0 to 10/15 degrees at the summit I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 1:14:34 #881812

>> Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are all high enough that the snow never goes away.

There is no permanent snow on the Schilthorn in summer 🙂

However, you can see snow on some of the higher surrounding peaks. An out-of-season snowfall on the Schilthorn couldn’t be ruled out, but would probably melt away before long.

The Schilthorn is at an altitude of 2,970 metres, compared with 3,466 metres for the Jungfraujoch and 3,238 for Titlis.

Alpenrose

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Lucerne & Interlaken 5 day trip: What can we see’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.