Swiss Half Fare Card with Swiss Travel Pass Flex?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 2:51:02 #813952

Am I allowed to purchase a 1-day Swiss Half Fare Card if I have purchased a Swiss Travel Pass Flex? I believe I am reading conflicting information. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 2:56:51 #873667

Hello Maxine and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is no such product as a 1-day Swiss Half Fare Card. Perhaps you mean a Saver Day Pass? If so the answer is yes. Anyone can buy a Saver Day Pass.

Can you clarify what you are trying to achieve.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 3:08:12 #873668

From the page on Swiss Travel Pass Flex on MySwiss Alps. – “The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is worth your consideration if you stay for 16 days or longer. In that case you may want to buy an additional Swiss Half Fare Card, in order to get a discount on days you do not use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.”

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 3:25:23 #873669

The Swiss Half Fare Card lasts for 1 month and costs CHF120. See myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price

The suggestion is to use it to get a discount on days when you don’t want to use a day from your flex pass. How long are you staying?

It would be easier to advise you if you could give some idea of your overall plans.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 3:51:25 #873670

July 23 – Paris to Wengen (via train), stay 4 nights, then Murren for 4 nights, then 1 night in Geneva before flying out the next day.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 3:57:20 #873671

And how many days Swiss Travel Flex Pass have you got? It does not seem the Swiss Half Fare Card would be relevant to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 4:09:14 #873672

Thank you for your feedback. I am dropping that idea. I am also going to look at the BO pass and Jungfrau Travel passes. Fortunately I have seven months to plan.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 4:24:25 #873673

You could look at the Swiss Transfer Ticket to get you from your entry point into Switzerland and from Murren to Geneva Airport. But beware – you are obliged to take most direct route as suggested by SBB timetable search. So you wouldn’t be able to take the Golden Pass Line via Zweisimmen and Montreux to Geneva.

Or if you had a Swiss Half Fare Card to cover those trips you get 25% of the Jungfrau Regional Pass. It would be worth doing the sums on that but I suspect any savings would be marginal.

Have a great trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 11:23:22 #873674

Hi Maxine,

There certainly are a lot of rail pass options for Switzerland! The best idea is to decide on our entire itinerary so that you know what train, bus, boat or cable car routes you will be taking (and where they are) and then do a price comparison between a few of the passes t o see what is most economical.

Our web page on how to choose the best rail passwill help you with that (a great spreadsheet to do the math is there).

Let us know if you have any more questions on rail passes or itinerary planning!

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    7 January 2018 at 3:54:56 #873675

Hi Maxine,

For the experienced Swiss traveler it may be strait forward to pick the right pass or combination of passes but for the rest of us maybe not so easy. The complex part for me was which cable cars and local trains were covered by which passes. This information is available through links from this website but you have to know exactly where you want to visit and how often.The Swiss Travel Pass is great between cities but doesn’t cover most of the cable cars and some of the cog trains in the Jungfrau region, only gives a discount. When we were in Wengen last year, we used cog trains and cable cars extensively and only had 3 days of city to city travel. For us the Swiss Half fare card , Jungfrau Travel Pass, and 3 point to point tickets was the cheapest option when compared to using Swiss travel Pass or Swiss travel Pass Flex plus Jungfrau Travel Pass or Bernese Oberland Pass and all the possible combinations of said passes

As Lucas is likely to say, use the spreadsheet and do the math. But from another neophyte, GOOD LUCK you’ll likely need it Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2018 at 4:17:05 #873676

Thanks, Mark. I think the best solution to this question will be close to what you did. Maxine

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card with Swiss Travel Pass Flex?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.