Zermatt, Mürren, Lucerne in December – stay in city or mountain?

• Marsha Claresta
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 April 2024 at 8:32:23 #1409565

Hi All, I’m a family of four (children 8yo and 5yo) will be travelling to Zurich for the first time at the end of November. We will be arrive on 29 Nov and depart on 12 Dec 2024. Our plan is to visit Zermatt, Murren, Lucerne, and 2-3days in Austria.

My question is, whether we go directly to Zermatt or Lucerne first since I read the mountain cable car is not open yet at the end of Nov or early Dec. How about murren, is a good time to visit in early December?

anw, since our trip is on late nov to early Dec (29nov – 12dec), is it better to stay in the city? Any recommendation beside Lucerne, Besel, and Bern? Should we avoid mountain village (actually really want to visit it), or choose one between Zermatt and Murren/Wangen (stay in Interlaken).

Thanks before!

• Anna
    6390 posts
    16 April 2024 at 21:12:26 #1415990

Hi Marsha Claresta,

For arrival in late November and early December, I recommend staying near the cities so you will have plenty of activity options as the weather can be unpredictable this time of the year. Also, this would be a good period to visit the various Christmas markets (https://www.myswissalps.com/activities/christmas/markets/).

You can find useful tips on how to plan your winter vacation in Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalps.com/activities/seasons/winter/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Marsha Claresta
    Participant
    5 posts
    17 April 2024 at 1:49:26 #1415996

Thank you Anna!

is Zermatt still good to go? and for jungfraujoch region, its better to stay in Interlaken isnt it, or grindewald still ok?

My plan will be like this:

Day 1-4 Lucerne (day trip to besel)

Day 4-7 Zermatt

Day 7-10 Interlaken (day trip to Bern, Murren, Wangen)

Day 10-14 plan to visit Innsbruck/Salzburg

any advise?

thanks before 🙂

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    17 April 2024 at 3:23:31 #1416000

Hi Marsha,

I did a trip report of our stay In Zermatt last year. We left Zermatt on 27 Nov. it’s really difficult to predict the weather and it’s best you use the weather app or website to check the daily reports. As we were there for 18N, there were clear days and cloudy days, snowy days and some rainy days.

Here’s my trip report that’s separated into several parts which you can read from the Forum under trip reports. I am sure you will also be able to read about the experiences of others to get an idea.

https://www.myswissalps.com/community/thread/trip-report-zermatt-nov-2023-zurich-christmas-market/

Marsha Claresta
    Participant
    5 posts
    17 April 2024 at 3:38:57 #1416001

Wow very nice info! Just read it, and yeah the weather can be very predictable but still beatiful 🙂

since we will be arrived on Nov 29, 12pm is it better to go to Lucerne first or directly to Zermatt, and Lucerne at the end? How about Jungfrauch, any idea better to stay in Interlaken or Grindewald for early Dec around Dec 5.

and we’re travelling with kids, so no need to be rush, just enjoying the view, strolling around the village.

Marsha Claresta
    Participant
    5 posts
    17 April 2024 at 9:02:32 #1416038

and still confused about the travel pass, children up to 16 is free, isn’t? Should I buy STP or Half Fare, get an advice with my itinerary Half Fare would be better.

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    18 April 2024 at 13:53:49 #1431118

Hi Marsha,

In regard to which pass to buy, it’s best to carry out some maths to be sure – based on your daily activities. We have a handy guide to assist you with this.  Please take a look at the below link:

As for your children, should you opt with the Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Travel Pass Flex or Swiss Half Fare Card, you can apply for the complimentary Swiss Family Card.  This would entitle children from ages 6 to 15 to travel free whilst with you.  All explained here:

So this would apply for your 8 year old, your 5 year old would travel for free anyways (all under 6 years do).

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Marsha Claresta
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 April 2024 at 14:36:55 #1431119

Thank you Yolanda 🙂

about the itinerary, any suggestion wheter I stay in interlaken or lauterbrunnen?

29 Nov – 12 Dec:

Day 1-4 Lucerne (day trip to besel)

Day 4-7 Zermatt

Day 7-10 Interlaken (day trip to Bern, Murren, Wangen)

Day 10-14 plan to visit Innsbruck/Salzburg

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    18 April 2024 at 20:39:30 #1431127

Hi Marsha,

Both Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen have their appeal in their own right. It really depends on your own additional interests, facilities, shops, restaurants  – all could help in your decision. Lauterbrunnen is less populated if you prefer a quieter setting? Interlaken has more shops and restaurants, also if the weather turns, there would be more rainy-day options in Interlaken.

Perhaps take a read of our guides and that will help with a decision.

Also use the Swiss timetable so you can research and gauge journey times.  That way you can see what is doable for you.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.