Concert cancelled – 4 days free in Switzerland

• Shannoncrate
    Participant
    9 posts
    14 June 2022 at 0:10:45 #827493

We just flew to Amsterdam from Canada for a concert that was canceled tonight, Rolling Stones. It will be cancelled in Bern where we going next to see them in four days. This means our itinerary has completely opened up freeing us for fours days there. We fly into Geneva on the 16th and are there until the 20th. Does anyone have a suggestion on how we might spend 4 days on short notice? I was thinking a scenic train ride with stops at some places we could do some little day trips? Thanks again for all the help I’ve been getting here! Wish I wasn’t starting over but excited to be able to travel in any direction now and explore Switzerland.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    14 June 2022 at 6:25:09 #943203

Hi Shannoncrate,

As you’ll be flying in from Geneva, I suggest you take the train directly from the airport to Montreux. In Montreux you can board the Golden Pass scenic train to Zweisimmen and perhaps even continue to Interlaken and Lucerne. Along the Golden Pass route to Zweisimmen, I recommend making a quick stop in Gstaad and take the bus to Glacier 3000.

You can also plan various day trips from Montreux such as to Zermatt, Lausanne and Gruyeres. Maybe even take a relaxing cruise around Lake Geneva.

Would this option work for you?

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Shannoncrate
    Participant
    9 posts
    14 June 2022 at 9:23:15 #943204

Thanks so much Anna. I think we will travel to Lucerne like you suggest and start off in Montreux. We’d like to do the chocolate and cheese tour maybe. Just wondering what type of train pass you would suggest for the four days.Thanks.

Anna
    6384 posts
    14 June 2022 at 14:00:06 #943205

Hi Shannoncrate,

If you plan a lot of travelling and not just focused on one area, the Swiss Travel Pass would give you the most flexibility. You can choose from a 3 to 4 day pass depending on your itinerary. Other railpass options are explained in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses

Be sure to check out this link for useful tips on how to choose the best railpass.

Regards,

Anna

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    14 June 2022 at 23:48:31 #943206

I always recommend Bernese Oberland for first time visitors. It is the most scenic part in Switzerland. You may stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunen and do day trips. There are so many activities to do including train rides that 4 days will just fly. Pl visit http://www.myswissalps.com for more information. You can buy Swiss Travel Pass or regional pass.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2022 at 7:19:51 #943207

Hi Shannoncrate,

the regional passes mentioned by Shroffchetan are the following in the Jungfrau region (Bernese Oberland):

You have many options, including Montreux, Lucerne, the Jungfrau region etc. Choose the one that fits most to your preferences. If you like nature and mountains, I recommend the Jungfrau region. In case you are more into cities and museums then head to Lucerne or Bern or Zurich.

Switzerland is amazing, you’ll see it. Let us know if you have more questions.

Ildiko

Shannoncrate
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 June 2022 at 17:43:33 #943208

Thanks so much, this helps me so much, as I am a little unsure of what I’m doing now with no real plans and landing tomorrow. If we take the train to Interlaken tomorrow after arriving at Montreux, how do I book a seat on the train? I have bought a 4 day Swiss travel pass but would like to perhaps upgrade that part of the ride, or make sure we have good seats. I am leaving Geneva airport around 11:30am. I thought we would stay in Interlaken for one night then Lucerne for one or two nights then our last night in Bern because I already have a separate train ticket bought to Milan from there. Please any suggestions on what we should be doing would be wonderful. We like both nature and shopping and food! I also have no idea good spots to get off the train in these places or areas to look for hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2022 at 19:14:32 #943209

Hi Shannoncrate,

You do not need to reserve your seats on the Golden Pass, it is not obligatory. Check the details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets.

You do not need to take the train from Bern, you can jump on that train later too. I am not sure which train are you taking, but perhaps the one that travels via Thun. In this case you could go straight to Lucerne (from Geneva via Montreux). Stay there 2 nights, then go to Interlaken for 2 nights and catch your train to Milan in Thun (from Interlaken).

Activity tips in the regions:

Hotels:

Swiss Travel Pass is great, make sure to check the validity map AND the list here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

Ildiko

Shannoncrate
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 June 2022 at 19:29:34 #943210

That’s a great suggestion I like the idea of going straight to Lucerne because we will be tired after travelling and don’t want to miss any of the scenic parts of the Golden Pass. However I think I remember reading the train from Montreux to Zweisimman was one of the best parts of the golden pass. Do you think I should include that part too?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2022 at 22:06:01 #943211

I was thinking to travel by the Golden Pass from Montreux to Lucerne (via Zweisimmen and Interlaken), but yes, that would be a very long train trip. The entire route takes almost 6.5 – 7 hours, from that 5.5 hrs is the Golden Pass route. I am not sure where are you coming from, but if you will be tired, better to have a shorter train trip.

Regarding the Golden Pass route, you can read about the different legs of the journey here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Concert cancelled – 4 days free in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.