Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald?

• Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    25 June 2018 at 12:02:37 #816881

Hi everyone, we’re a family of two adults and a two year old. Would you please recommend which is a better place for us to use as a base for a week’s trip. My little girl loves streams/rivers especially waterwall so I thought of Lauterbrunnen but I’ve also heard Wengen is very nice. We could travel a bit to see what we want to most importantly is the quality of towns and accomodation options. Please suggest a town that is car free, quaint, cute, where we can still get food and grocery but not too touristy or crowded ( we really want to avoid big crowds). Point of trip is to do beautiful scenic trails that is appropriate for us to carry out two year old on back child carrier. Also is End of July a good month? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 18:58:46 #889400

Hi Tram and welcome to MySwissAlps!

In that region, Wengen and Mürren are you car-free town options and I think you’d be happy at either.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/murren

We have hotel suggestions on both pages above as well for you to check out.
    July is a great time to explore and do some light hiking in the area. Look here for suggestions: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2018 at 1:33:53 #889401

Also, check –

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

An excellent perspcetive on the whole area.

Slowpoe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 4:25:53 #889402

Hi Tram

>> not too touristy or crowded ( we really want to avoid big crowds) … is End of July a good month?

July is the height of the tourist season, and the Jungfrau Region is probably the most popular area of Switzerland (for a good reason).

You won’t be able to avoid the crowds at that time of year.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2018 at 9:29:13 #889403

Hi Tram –

Some data on hikes:

In general:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

In the Jungfrau Region:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Scroll down under ‘What to do.”

Attached are some images from the easy walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg which has the nickname “The Grannies’ Walk.”

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    26 June 2018 at 11:22:37 #889404

Hi Tram

Both Murren and Wengen are nice but I would say Wengen is a little more convenient for access to hiking and has more choices for restaurants and hotels.

in addition to Männlichen to KS hike Slowpoke mentioned, you might also look at these relatively easy hikes that are short and not much uphill. First to Grosse Scheidegg,rated 1:25 hrs. Also First to Bachalpsee and back rated 1:40 hrs. Kleine Scheidegg to Wengeralp 1:30 hrs. And last Lauderbrunnen towards Steckelberg. All these hikes have very nice views but very different perspectives of the mountains.

If you are interested in avoiding crowds you might consider going in September. Generally very nice weather

Mark

Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 July 2018 at 10:03:07 #889405

Thank you for pointing out those details about Wengen. That’ll be very helpful to us and we can still hop over to Murren for a visit as well.

I prefer September by the sound of it but July is better with our schedule. May i Ask if I will struggle with getting train tickets? Is it that kind of busy end of July? I’m only starting to plan now and have three weeks to do so.

also, if i want to add another destination now that we have added few more days to our holiday. Would you and everyone here suggest where I can consider that would allow me to go more trails and sight seeing appropriate for small family. My little girl loves the lakes and mountains . This is because i want a chance to catch a nice scenic train ride to our itinerary as well. Heading from zurich to interlaken and stay in wengen area doesn’t seem to give me a chance to catch one of those famous ride. I’ve heard of golden pass, Bernini express etc. Which one is better and which route should I ensure to pass by. Thank you very much. Switzerland is so beautiful with so many hikes it is overwhelming planning it while so busy with looking after a toddler. I appreciate everyone’s recommendations

Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 July 2018 at 10:03:35 #889406

Soo soo helpful. Thank yo

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:01:11 #889407

With a 2 yo child, you might like a shorter train ride. The open air cog train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte is close by, very scenic with views of mountains and lakes, and has a very nice walk when you get to the top. You might also consider a boat ride on the lakes at Interlaken.

Others will need to advise you on the longer scenic train routes. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:26:15 #889408

Hi Tram,

Train tickets never sell out. If a train is very busy you may have to stand for a short while. Trains noted on the occupancy column in the timetable with 3 red figures are expected to be very busy: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable (search for a train connection first on SBB timetable and then you will see occupancy).

Some mountain trips can get busy and you may have to wait a little bit for next train or gondola. Reservations are often not possible.

I think the only scenic train that is realistic for your family (from one of the towns you are staying in) is the Golden Pass trip from Lucerne to Interlaken to Zweisimmen and Montreux (5.5 hours one-way).
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass

Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 July 2018 at 9:23:14 #889409

Will there be foliage already in Septemer and if it is still warm enough for hiking up ( we will only do easy trails since carring a toddler on back). Vice versa is end of July going to be too hot to hike? I’ve heard August can be quite unpleasant. Thanks

Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 July 2018 at 9:56:15 #889410

You suggested Wengen or Murren with the reasons which I feel would be great for us, i.e easy access to trails etc.

what are your thoughts on Lauterbrunnen? Heard loads and I definitely will visit but how is it for a base in comparison to Wengen?

I heard that some places are not a good base because to train connections etc that you always have to go down the Valley to go anywhere else. Does this mean Lauterbrunnen is sort of the gateway into jungfrau region? Making it a better place regarding access? Thanks

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    3 July 2018 at 11:07:16 #889411

Lauderbrunnen is nice too. I would say the difference in travel convenience between Lauderbrunnen and Wengen is minimal but most would chose Wengen because it is car free and more scenic. The weather for hiking in September is generally very good but it can vary from quite warm to chilly or even a brief snow at higher altitude. In my opinion it is my favorite month for hiking in the Jungfrau area

Of course Lucas may have a different viewpoint on these questions

Mark

Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 July 2018 at 11:34:07 #889412

Hi some thoughts from your kind respond. I was going to fly into Zurich and take SBB train to Interlaken which should be approximately 2 to 2.5 hours. Is it worth it for me to take train from Zurich to lucerne in order to get on Golden Pass train to get to Interlaken.

How long would this journey take? Also, not as direct but it it with it with the intention to be on golden pass ‘panoramic train’ and if the view is a lot better than the other route via SBB.

I know I will use cable car, cog wheel train etc in Junfrau regions which my daughter will love. Is Golden Pass ( Bernina express etc) are one of those once of a life time experience train ride and sights see where i should put a lot of effort into getting on? Convenient is very important to me as well traveling with a little kid. Thanks

By the way, I think I will extend my trip from 5 to 8 days now. I would like to add another destination, thinking of either Zermat or St Moritz. Any thoughts ?

thanks you so much so responding again.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 July 2018 at 11:49:00 #889413

Please use the timetable for planing your routes:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

This map will help for the Jungfrau region:

map.search.ch/?pos=641696,160848&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

Or- for the journey via Luzern:

map.search.ch/?pos=666112,211840&z=4

Zoom in to zoom level 32 to see the train lines clearly

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 12:02:08 #889414

Hi Tram,

Yes, go via Lucerne to Interlaken – it is worth it. The timetable from Slowpoke with tell you trip duration.

I’d try to get do the Golden Pass from Interlaken on to Montreux. A longer day but doable. https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass
    The Bernina Express and Glacier Express are great but not convenient for you to get to (and very long days) from the Lauterbrunnen area. https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress & https://www.myswissalp s.com/berninaexpress

I’d go to Zermatt: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zermatt – you could also do part of the Glacier Express route: https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/g ettingthere – to or from Zermatt and Andermatt could work

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 July 2018 at 13:54:01 #889415

Hi lucas-

With three added days, I suppose he could go from Interlaken to Zermatt, then take the Glacier Express ( or regular trains on the same route) to St. Moritz.

Then return to Zürich via Chur.

It means a lot of travel, as well as changing hotels, and it depends on what he wants to “cover.”

My own preferences would be to stay longer in the Jnugfrau region, because I like it and there is a lot of variety, but everyone has their own preferences. It also makes it more likely that he’ll have a clear sunny day on high.

I wonder if the “named” special trins might not be fully booked by now for July? I always go in September. Better weather, fewer tourists.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 17:07:52 #889416

Yes, good points Slowpoke.

I wrote not being able to do the express trains very easily before I read that he is tagging on 3 days. 🙂 Certainly with the extra days, those trips are doable (if they want to as you say!).

Yes, it is quite possible the express trains are booked by now

-Tram you can also travel the same route on regional trains so you still get the same scenery.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 July 2018 at 19:29:04 #889417

Hi Tram-

I forgot to mention that the instruction page on the “timetable” link is worth a bit of study.

In particular, the timetable will usually default to the fastest route.

So, from Zürich Airport to Interlaken, it will route you through Bern. And, for Interlaken to Montreux, on the Golden Pass route, the computer will try to send you through Bern instead of using the Golden Pass Route. Going through Bern or returning that way is a lot faster. And, a pleasant ride, even if it is not as scenic. To look at the Golden Pass Trains on the Golden Pass Route or regular trains on that same route, you would enter “Zweisimmen ” in the “via” box.

To go through Luzern, use the advanced time table and put “Luzern” or “Lucerne” in the “via” box.

You can do that for a whole lot of “vias”, but I usually break the trip up into smaller segments in those cases, and work my way along the route. Sometimes, it offers more options and , for me, it is clearer to do it in pieces.

I always keep that map handy while I’m doing it.

map.search.ch/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 20:28:06 #889418

We just stayed in Wengen a few days ago (family of 4 with 2 young teens). We loved Wengen because it was quaint and car free. We stayed up the hill away from the town and it was lovely. However, aside from the one day we went up to the Jungfrau area and Grindelwald, we did note that Lauterbrunnen might have been a more convenient location. Every day we tacked on an extra 20-30 min each way by staying in Wengen. It might really depend on how convenient of a location you want.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 July 2018 at 21:55:02 #889419

Hi Scrapinasnap –

<<“We loved Wengen because it was quaint and car free. …….. we did note that

Lauterbrunnen might have been a more convenient location”>>

No one will scrap with you on that observation -that is, if you are going to many of the possible destinations or leaving the valley to go to Interlaken. However, Wengen is more convenient for the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk. And, you can go up and over by the cableways to get to Grindelwald quickly, during the hours of operation. Depends on where you are going.

I like Wengen because you can see this on a clear day – attached.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.