Which pass for 3 day tour in Lucerne, Switzerland?

• Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    22 March 2016 at 17:15:45 #808696

We shall reach Lucerne from Paris. What is the best way to reach Lucerne from Paris? We shall make journey in July.. Hope the season will be good.

We shall reach Lucerne in the first afternoon. What we can do in that day?

2nd Day : We wish to see Mt Titlis and Mt Pilutus in the 2nd day. Is it possible to see Mt Titlis and Mt Pilutus in a single day?

3rd day : Give us some itinenary for the 3rd day. We are old persons. We can move by trains, but willnot be able to hiking or so.

4th day : We shall l;eave Lucerne in the early morning.

What will be the best travel pass for this short trip?

Thanks & Regards

Anjan Ghosh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 March 2016 at 18:52:30 #849721

Hi Anjan Gosh!

When coming from Paris you can best travel via Basel. The timetable provides all options, and further information about inbound train trips from France can be found here.

For your first afternoon in Lucerne I’d recommend some slow-paced sightseeing in the town. Tips are at our Lucerne page.

Titlis and Pilatus can be combined in one day, but you’ll have to leave early. Also mind to only get up if skies are clear enough. The pages I linked to and the timetable mentioned before allow you to make a detailed planning.

For your 3rd day you can consider a boat trip over Lake Lucerne and/or a visit to Rigi. Further tips are at the Lucerne page I linked to.

As for rail passes: you’ll have to make calculations to make sure which pass is most economical. You may compare a 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass (depending on your journey for day 4) to a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2016 at 14:45:32 #849722

Hi Annika,

in this case, i think tell Pass would be a gud Option for Anjan .

As with Tell – pass, the following attractions Titlis, Pilatus, Luzerne Lake boat trip,Rigi and more can be covered in a single Ticket.

Please correct me if am wrong.

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 March 2016 at 15:26:24 #849723

Hi rajeskp,

Thanks for jumping in! You’re certainly right about the Tell Pass coverage. The disadvantage for Anjan Gosh would be that the inbound trip to Lucerne from the French/Swiss border won’t be covered. That’s why I suggested a pass that would take care of that journey too. This also allow travelers to visit another region or make a city trip (e.g. to Zurich) in case of bad weather. It will all come down to Anjan’s exact itinerary and the calculations made accordingly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2016 at 15:42:17 #849724

Hi Annika,

Wow !!! Annika you are awesome Tat is a great thinking, i was focussed only upon Luzerne. But you were targetting right from their source, that is an expert View.

Thanks for correcting me.

Have a nice Easter vacation

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    24 March 2016 at 18:00:45 #849725

Thanks to all of you, Annika & rajeshp and Happy Easter. I found that many Indians visit Switzerland regularly and Annika and 2-3 other guys help a lot. Again thanks.

First, today I checked the train tickets. If I purchase a direct ticket (2ndclass) from Paris to Lucerne(Luzern) for 3 heads, on 05.07.2016, it will cost INR 26712 (1 CHF=inr 68.52), whereas if we break the journey,i.e. from Paris to Basel by TGV Lyria, the fare is INR 9828 (07.23 hrs from Paris Gare Lyon) and INR 12348 (10.23 hrs from same station) and the train fare from Basel to Lucerne is INR 7410 (Flexifare). We did not understand the matter.

From Lucerne to Milan, the fare is INR 4788 (Eurocities) for 3 heads.

What is flexifare? Does the fare include everything? We wish to travel by 2nd class. Will the seats be comfortable, as some of us are seniors?

Your advice for Mt Tiltis and Mt Pilatus is welcome. We wish to know how we can cover Mt Tiltis and Mt Pilatus in one day. and also the Rigi, Obviously, we shall take the boat ride in Lake Lucerne. Can we not take the journey to Interlaken by Golden Pass line and back? Is it worth seeing?

We wish to travel one scenic train. Perhaps our time is too small.

One more question. When the Tell Pass coverage starts? and how long it will cover? As we shall come to Luzern from Basel, and leave Lucerne for Milan, is any part of these train journeys covered by Tell Pass?

Our Itinery is as fas as we schedule:

05.07.2016 : 10.23 – Start from Paris to Basel by TGV Lyria

13.26 – Arrival at Basel SBB

14.17 – Start from Basel SBB

15.30 – Arrival at Luzern

08.07.2016 08.46 – Start from Luzern

12.50 – Arrivalat Milan

Now you advise us what to do in Switzerkland. Which Pass will be better for how many days?

Thanks and regards

Anjan Ghosh

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    24 March 2016 at 18:18:01 #849726

Tell Pass is only for 2 days. Which is the other option which will cover the whole 3 days with less budget?

Anjan Ghosh

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    24 March 2016 at 18:28:44 #849727

If we purchase Swiss TravelPass for 3 days, will it cover all the journeys in the places we wish to travel (cover all the places in Tell Pass-Summer)?

We are in great dilemma. Adise.

Anjan Ghosh

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 March 2016 at 21:08:20 #849728

Hi Anjan Ghosh,

There are several pass options:

• a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass, covering all your journeys within Switzerland by train and boat, including the legs Basel-Lucerne and Lucerne-Domodossola at the Swiss-Italian border. Rigi is for free as well; Titlis and Pilatus are 50% discounted. Please refer to the validity overview. This would be the easiest option;
    • a 2 day Tell Pass for July 6 and 7, plus regular tickets for Basel-Lucerne and Lucerne-Domodossola. In all this may be cheaper than the Swiss Travel Pass option, but you’ll need to make calculations to find out for sure. By the way, you mention there’s a 2 day Tell Pass only, but it comes in 3 day and in other variants too. Did you check our Tell Pass page? It’s all mentioned there. A 3 or 4 day variant won’t help you much though, as the Tell Pass doesn’t cover significant legs of your inbound and outbound trips.

I’m not sure which website you’re using for finding France-Switzerland fares. The fares they apply, such as the flexi fare, should be explained there.

The difference between 1st and 2nd class is explained here.

Out of Titlis, Pilatus and Rigi, you can combine two on one day, although it’s a bit much. Doing all three in one day wouldn’t work. Please refer to the pages I linked to. They explain how to get there. The timetable provides further support as it displays the exact traveling times.

Sure, the Golden Pass ride to Interlaken is interesting. It would be a good alternative in case weather isn’t good enough to visit the mountain tops you have in mind. If skies are clear, it’s easier to focus on the Lake Lucerne region only.

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    25 March 2016 at 18:24:41 #849729

Thank you Arno & Annika. We shall buy Swiss Travel Pass, but for 3 days or 4 days? We are reaching Basel at 13.26 hrs. Whether Swiss Travel Pass starts thereafter or from the morning of the 1st day?

One more thing. how is the normal weather in Switzerland in 1st/2nd week of July?

If we purchase Swiss Travel Pass, our trip to Mt Pilatus and Titlis will be 50% charged. How we shall pay these fares?

Thanks & Regards

Anjan Ghosh

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 March 2016 at 9:10:17 #849730

Hi Anjan,

As mentioned above, 4 day Swiss Travel Pass makes most sense in your case. That way, both your inbound trip from Basel as well as the Swiss leg of your outbound trip to Milan will be fully covered. The validity period is measured in dates (not 24 hour periods), so your Swiss Travel Pass will be valid during the entire day of July 5. Just indicate that you want the validity to start on July 5 while ordering your pass. Purchase options are listed here. I recommend that you order through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, as they allow you to get print at home passes without additional shipping/handling fees.

You’ll have to buy tickets for Pilatus and Titlis at the valley stations. Just show your Swiss Travel Pass there in order to get the 50% discount.

Unfortunately there’s no such thing as “normal” weather for any period in Switzerland. Temperatures down in the valleys will be mild to warm or even hot, but other than that anything is possible. Please refer to our weather information for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2016 at 17:10:13 #849731

I’d like to add a related question to the thread…does the Tell Pass cover the cogwheel train up to Pilatus? Thanks so much!

Alison

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 March 2016 at 17:19:05 #849732

Hi Alison, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, it does. Everything covered can be found here: myswissalps.com/ tellpass/validity.

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    26 March 2016 at 17:52:43 #849733

The price of 3 days Tell pass is being shown as CHF 130 per head. But when I am going to buy those from swiss railways , the amount required is being shown CHF 200 per head. We could not undestand.

3 days Swiss travel pass is CHF 210 per head.

Thanks & Regards

Anjan Ghosh

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 March 2016 at 18:08:34 #849734

Hi Anjan,

There is a Tell-Pass for the winter season (CHF 130 for 3 days, until March 31) and one for the summer season (CHF 200 for 3 days). So the price depends on which date you order it for.

The Swiss Travel Pass is CHF 210 for 3 days all year round.

Please see the above links or http://www.swissrailways.com/ en for more details.

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    27 March 2016 at 18:17:16 #849735

Again I am disturbing. Thanks for the information that if we buy Swiss Travel Pass, Basel SBB to Luzern will be free. It costs.CHF 30-35 per head.

But we wish to know that in case of Mt Pilatus, Cable car from Kriens or Alpnachstad to Pilatus: 50% off. How much it costs? Whether other parts of the journey will be free?

In case of Mt Titlis, Cable car from Engelberg to Mount Titlis: 50% off. How much it costs? Whether other parts of the journey will be free?

We found that if we have Swiss Trave lPass, we can take Golden Pass scenic train free. May we have to reserve the seats?

Thanks & Regards

Anjan Ghosh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 23:21:49 #849736

Hello Anjan

If you have the Swiss Travel Pass the trip to Titlis at 50% rate is chf44,50 plus chf12 for the Ice-Flyer which is not discounted. All other transport is covered.

For Pilatus the discount price for a return trip is chf36. All other transport free. Tip – we were pleased that we bought our Pilatus round trip ticket in Lucerne showing our pass to get the discount because we avoided a long queue at Alpnachstad – it was high season so busy.

The Golden Pass route is covered by the pass – you don’t need reservations.

Enjoy!

Maggie

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    28 March 2016 at 2:22:38 #849737

Thank you Maggie. If we have Tell pass, all the journeys to Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis are totally free. Isn’t?

With regards

Anjan Ghosh

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 March 2016 at 8:37:54 #849738

Hi Anjan,

Everything included in the passes can be found here:

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    28 March 2016 at 13:53:33 #849739

Okay, we shall reach Luzern in about 16.00 hrs of 05.07.2016. We shall stay three nights, i.e., 05.07.2016, 06.07.2016 & 07.07.2016,at Luzern. If weather permits, we wish to visit Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus & Mt Rigi and take boat rides in Lake Luzern. We also wish to enjoy round trip from Luzern to Interlaken.

Please advise how we can cover these places (please give in details) and which boat cruize will be worth-seeing and less time time consuming. In the morning of 08.07.2016, we shall leave Luzern for Milan.

We can move from 9.00 hrs to 18.00 hrs, or may extend 2-3 hours.

One thing, we wish to know. We purchased a 2nd class rail ticket (category : mini) for the journey from Luzern to Milan. Is it less comfortable?

From Luzern, is it possible to visit Jungfrau region ? What are the possibilities?

Regards

Anjan Ghosh

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 March 2016 at 8:17:48 #849740

Hi Anjan,

All the details and how the get from A to B can be found here:

The mini fare just relates to the price. Second class offers the same level of comfort to everyone.

Interlaken is in the Jungfrau region, so you’ve already planned that visit. However, it’s just the gate to that region. There’s not much to see in Interlaken itself, so you’d better continue to Mürren or Kleine Scheidegg for example. But I doubt if you have time for that considering your wish list for the 3 days. The timetable will help you out.

• The thread ‘Which pass for 3 day tour in Lucerne, Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.