Ideas for Switzerland for 17 days (31Oct-16Nov)

• tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    15 June 2022 at 19:14:25 #827505

Hi members , good day. I will be travelling to Switzerland on 31Oct – 16Nov with my brother , 2 pax . We will be getting the Swiss Travel Pass(STP) 15 days as will be travelling around a lot. Not a big fan of extreme sports such as skiing/snowboard , sledging or snowshoeing is ok and prefer chill walk . Currently we have a rough itinerary as below:

31Oct – 5Nov: arrive in Zurich airport at 07:50am, travel to Bern as base and stay for 6D5N . Travel to areas such as Basel, Aarau, Lucerne, Zug, Bien, Lausanne, Geneva, Montreux, Brig, Zermatt, Sion (travelling to these areas in day trips)

5-7Nov: stay 3D2N in Interlaken as base and travel to Jungfrau region , and Rodelbahn Oeschinensee

7-8Nov: will be travelling in backpack to Milan and stay 2D1N there tentatively. Is there a SBB Travel Centre at the Lugano train station that we can leave our luggage there for CHF10/day ?

8-11Nov: need some ideas for this 4D3N where to spend ? Should i stay longer in Italy or any area in Switzerland i should cover ?

11-16Nov: stay 6D5N in Zurich as base as we have plan to visit the Zurich Auto Show on 11Nov (held between 10-13Nov). On 12Nov, will be going to Rhine Falls and St.Gallen. Need some ideas for 13 and 14Nov ? As our STP will be inactive 15Nov onwards, we planning to walk around Zurich city and wind down for a day. We will be departing from Zurich airport on 16Nov 10:35am

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestion . Much appreciated

Stay safe!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2022 at 15:01:56 #943242

Hi tencneo,

Swiss Travel Pass will be great for your trip, not that it is only valid in Switzerland. See the validity map and list at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. You can buy it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price.

Yes, there is a luggage locker at the train station in Lugano, nor sure about the prices, it depends on the size of the lockers. Opening hours: Mon.–Fri. 7:00–19:00 and Sat.–Sun. 8:00–19:00. Phone number: Tel.: +41 848 44 66 88

As you are going to Italy, have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. That will help you to choose the best train ticket for your trip.

Sorry, I cannot help you with the Italian attractions, we are specialized in Switzerland 🙂

I think you could stay longer in Zermatt, you can easily spend more days there visiting the mountain tops. See the activity options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities. Same for Lucerne; the Lake Lucerne region is also wonderful, you could stay there 1-2 nights too if you want. Activity tips: http://www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne/activities.

If you would like to visit Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux, you could also stay in this area for 1 night, so you do not have to travel there and back to Bern. I also recommend visiting Gruyeres (a chocolate and cheese factory in the area).

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    16 June 2022 at 15:36:58 #943243

Thanks Ildiko for your prompt reply and ideas ! Much appreciated . I have a better idea now to put in plans for my 8-11Nov

May i know is there any site where i can refer full list of lockers and details ? As i would like to plan if i’m staying a night or two in areas like Lucerne , Geneva and Zermatt . Also any idea is the oversized luggage stored with SBB travel centre at train station CHF10/day valid (attached image)?

Is there a timetable that i can refer for bus and boats ? As from the SBB timetable i’m only able to see trains and trams.

for my itinerary on 11-16Nov 6D5N in Zurich base, any cities/place worthwhile to visit on the northeast / east area ?

Any Christmas market so happen to commerce during my visit (31Oct – 16Nov) ?

Thanks in advance !

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    16 June 2022 at 15:58:15 #943244

would like to addon as well , for activities in lake geneva (http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakegeneva) is the ferry from Lausanne to Evian, France included in our STP ? Meaning that we do not have to pay additional for the to and fro journey ?

Anna
    6378 posts
    17 June 2022 at 8:10:01 #943245

Hi tencneo,

The left luggage service is available at most major train stations during business hours. Lucerne, Geneva and Zermatt offer this service but the operating hours may differ slightly. You can leave your bag (no more than 25kg) at a staffed counter for CHF12 per day. Alternatively there also luggage lockers available 24/7. You can store your luggage in these lockers for up to 72 hours (blue lockers) and 96 hours (red lockers). Prices vary depending on the sizes of the lockers.

You can find more information about how to travel with luggage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

You can check out specific railway station services including luggage deposit here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/at-the-station/railway-stations.html

To display only boats and bus schedules on the SBB timetable, just click on the advance search button and select your preferred transport mode.

Unfortunately, you might not be able to experience any Christmas markets during your trip. Christmas markets are usually available from late November to December.

And yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is valid on the boat from Lausanne to Evian-les-Bains and back: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

regards,

Anna

Brown1950
    Participant
    13 posts
    18 June 2022 at 16:44:25 #943246

I would suggest visiting Graubunden. This area is the largest Canton in the SE Region. Towns include Chur, Klosters, Davos, St.Moritz and plenty of small Villages. Train excursions in and through the Alps in this region as as scenic as it gets…enjoy the Photos from the Bernina Express and Glacier Express.

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    19 June 2022 at 15:17:40 #943247

thanks a lot Anna and much appreciated for your knowledge sharing for a first time traveler there ! 😀

thanks Brown1950 for sharing your photogenic as well , really looks like from movie (Am wondering now how you took those pic haha) . Initially i was thinking plans for my 8-11Nov. I may add in few towns you mentioned after coming back from Milan 😀 thanks again

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    2 July 2022 at 15:42:38 #943248

Good day moderators and members ,

1. I would like to ask with my STP which route option would you suggest for me to go up and down to Jungfrau based on http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere ? In context, I have a full day allocated for Jungfrau hence got plenty of time

2. Just to confirm if i purchased from switzerlandtravelcentre.com or http://www.jungfrau.ch , the ticket is return ticket right ?

3. I browse through few websites that selling Jungfrau ticket , switzerlandtravelcentre.com & http://www.jungfrau.ch & happyrail.com , happyrail is the cheapest for now. I notice jungfrau.ch & happyrail.com has the Jungfrau duration selection , does this matters for whichever duration i selected or the duration actually means i have to go on board follow the specific time i selected ?

Thanks

Anna
    6378 posts
    2 July 2022 at 18:56:18 #943249

Hi tencneo,

1. For the trip to Jungfraujoch, I recommend a round trip starting from Grindelwald Terminal, taking the Eiger Express to Eigergletscher then the cogwheel train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch. On the way down, travel with the cog train to Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg.

2. With the Swiss Travel Pass, you can get discounted tickets to Jungfraujoch here. This is a return ticket (valid for 1 day for any departure) and you can choose whether to travel by cog train only or cog train + cable car. If you purchase from the Jungfrau website, the ticket is also a return ticket. If you purchase from Happy Rail, be sure to check if it’s a single or return ticket.

3. A return ticket to Jungfraujoch is valid for 1 day. The duration selected at point of purchase is not binding. Most visitors stay for at least an hour at the summit.

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    2 July 2022 at 21:26:24 #943250

Thanks a lot Anna for your recommendation , much appreciated!

I would like to add, is there any where i can refer the complimentary museums with STP ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 July 2022 at 10:33:44 #943251

Hi tencneo!

In addition: time slots are relevant for Jungfraujoch seat reservations, but not for normal tickets. As you’ll be traveling in low season you won’t need seat reservations (https://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets).

I assume you’re planning your Jungfraujoch trip between November 5 and 7? Please be aware that not all routes are accessible due to maintenance. You’ll be able to reach Jungfraujoch, but you won’t be able to choose from all modes of transport. The section “Dates of operation” at http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere provides the details. If you manage to do this trip on November 5 or 6, you could travel up via Wengen and down via the Eiger Express to Grindelwald.

Likewise, the cable car to Oeschinensee won’t be operational.

As for the museums included in the Swiss Travel Pass: sure, you’ll find a link here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details.

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    3 July 2022 at 15:39:12 #943252

Hi Arno ,thanks a lot for clarifying more detail about the detail of the jungfrau time slot . Much appreciated !

Thanks thanks a lot for highlighting the Jungfrau transport date of operation as well , will definitely arrange it on Nov 5 and 6 hopefully i can get good weather in either of these 2 days . Nov 7 will be checking in in Zermatt for a night or two .

Yup unfortunately my date cant make it for the Rodelbahn Oeschinensee . Do you know any other mountain coaster happen on my dates ? 😀

Thanks for the museums list as well , now i only notice there’s tons of them , going to do some research which is worthwhile going

I got an add-on question : Where would you recommend me to do snowshoe-ing and snow sledge ? This will be my first time in doing winter activities . Thanks a lot <3

Anna
    6378 posts
    4 July 2022 at 2:34:39 #943253

HI tencneo,

November is still too early for winter activities in most destinations and it depends on snow conditions too. But if you are interested to do a bit of sledging or show-shoeing during your trip, check out Zermatt (Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn) or Titlis where there is snow at the top all year round.

Regards,

Anna

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    11 July 2022 at 10:10:30 #943254

Thanks Anna for your suggestion for the sledging and snow-shoeing and Jungfrau tips earlier

Am currently planning in detail for the Jungfrau itinerary (5/6Nov) , would like to seek fellow members & hikers recommendation

Going up to Jungfaru @ 8:05am (Option3) Interlaken – Grindelwarld Terminal – Eigergletscher – Jungfraujoch (1h 36m journey) – Sphinx Observatory, Alpine Sensation, Lindt chocolate, Ice palace, Mönchsjoch Hut (1h hike), allocate ~4 hours here

Coming down from Jungfrau @ 12:17pm (Option1) Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken (am i allowed to hop off the train and hop back on , on later station ? as i plan to do some hiking. I will be buying the standard 1-day jungfrau ticket 25% off from my STP)

12:17pm from Jungfrau – reach Kleine @ 12:54pm by train

12:54pm from Kleine hike 45min to Wengernalp , reach @ 1:45pm

2:22pm from Wengernalp – reach Wengen @2:39pm by train

3:13pm from Wengen – reach Lauterbrunnen @ 3:26pm by train

3:38pm from Lauterbrunnen – reach Grutschalp @ 3:42pm by cable car

3:44pm from Grutschalp – reach Murren @ 3:58pm by train

4:15pm from Murren to Allmendhubel (train service from sbb not available during the date , but price shows valid till date 10Dec2022 schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/Timetable__and__Tariff ) refer attachment. I guess I have to wait sooner to the date until my date opens up ?

Due to my time constraint, appreciate if fellow members/hikers can advice which is worthwhile for the view , I’m considering whether to

A. 4:15pm from Murren hike 1h to Allmendhubel and 1h back to Murren 6:15pm

Bi. skip Allmendhubel , after 4:15pm Murren hike 1h30min back down to Grutschalp 5:45pm / or would you suggest to do halfway from Winteregg

Bii. 3:44pm from Grutschalp hike 1h30min up to Murren 5:15pm , skip Allmendhubel and take train from Murren back to Grutschalp

Based on my schedule above is it too ambitious / hurry ? I assume all activity/transport above are covered by my STP and Jungfrau standard ticket except the CHF7/way Murren to Allmendhubel furnicular ? May kindly let me know if i miss out any ticket with its price. Thanks a lot

Anna
    6378 posts
    11 July 2022 at 10:45:47 #943255

Hi tencneo,

Sorry, you will have to skip Allmendhubel for this trip as the funicular does not operate in November due to maintenance. So I would go with your Option Bi. Do take note that it gets dark early closer to winter, so keep your plans flexible.

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers all your activities for this particular plan and you are free to hop on and hop off the train as you wish.

Regards,

Anna

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    11 July 2022 at 14:13:03 #943256

Noted thanks Anna.

During Nov normally we will get ~10 hours daylight ? sunrise around 8:15am , sunset around 6:15pm ?

Anna
    6378 posts
    11 July 2022 at 14:46:27 #943257

Hi tencneo,

In Switzerland, we switch back to daylight savings in the last week of October so the clock moves back an hour. So sunrise will be around 7am and sunset roughly 5.30pm or earlier depending on location.

You can get more information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/time

Regards,

Anna

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    11 July 2022 at 19:36:43 #943258

Thanks Anna . This is a great information . Now i have to be aware of my timing as well as sunset is earlier during my dates.

Would like to add on , is the bus ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Isenfluh covered with my STP ? thanks again

Anna
    6378 posts
    11 July 2022 at 21:16:44 #943259

Hi tencneo,

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is valid on the Postauto bus service between Lauterbrunnen and Isenfluh.

Regards,

Anna

ginmat
    Participant
    5 posts
    24 July 2022 at 13:10:06 #943260

Hi,

There are so many beautiful places to see in the Jungfrau area that it might be worthwhile extending you stay in that area if you have days to spare. You could look up the following areas on the internet and see what you think: Schynige Platte, Wengen, Mannlichen, Murren,Gimmelwald, Allmendhubel, Grindelwald, Grindelwald First, Bachalpsee, Kleine Scheidegg, Grosse Scheidegg, Isenfluh (and take the gondola to Sulwald here and hike to Lobhornhutte if you have time), Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch and Lauterbrunnen. Some beautiful hikes are the Mountainview Hike (from Grutschalp to Allmendhubel or vice versa), the North Face Trail (from Allmendhubel to Murren), Grindelwald First to Grosse Scheidegg, Grindelwald First to Bachalpsee, the Schynige Platte panorama trail, Sulwald (above Isenfluh) to Lobhornhutte, Stechelberg to Berggasthaus Tschingelhorn and/or Hotel Obersteinberg (and further to Oberhornsee, but this is a full day hike), the Eiger Trail from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald or from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen, the Leiterhorn trail at Wengen, Murren to Gimmelwald and the list goes on. Hasliberg is not so far away and is also very beautiful. If you do image searches of the above, it might give you an idea if you would like to spend more days in that area. I have visited the above areas in July and found them to be very beautiful. I haven’t been there in November, but you would be able to find YouTube posts of people hiking in these areas in November to give you an idea of what the areas look like in November. It is a good idea to do this, as the areas can look quite different at different times of the year.

Regards,

Virginia

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    24 July 2022 at 15:47:18 #943261

Thanks a lot Virginia for sharing your ideas , will do some research on the places you mentioned 😀 as i’m still fixed on my dates yet may add in few more days from your suggestion

Stay safe and thanks again!

• The thread ‘Ideas for Switzerland for 17 days (31Oct-16Nov)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.